• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry February 6th-7th

Looking at how things transpired with the forecasts last night for the western parts of the upstate, in was very similar to how January 1987 went for the CLT metro, but on a smaller scale. That storm was supposed to be an all rain event for the metro area and in fact on the 6pm news the night that storm moved in there was no talk of snow outside of the mountains and adjacent foothills. I remember getting to stay up late that night since the next day was a teacher workday, and watching the 11pm news with my mom and seeing how quickly they changed the forecast from 6pm. It was still several hours before any precip was to arrive for the CLT and old Ray Boylan on WSOC-tv started the newscast off by saying his forecast earlier was gonna end up dead wrong.

View attachment 72596

Here's the map from GSP. I-85 cutoff very noticeable. Looks like Hendersonville/Saluda was the sweet spot. Looks like they may be a tad low for some of the upstate areas.
That map is not accurate. I ended up with 2.5 inches and the map is showing 1.5. Looks like it is on the low side everywhere.

That map is not accurate. I ended up with 2.5 inches and the map is showing 1.5. Looks like it is on the low side everywhere.
Yeah looks like they used a lot of CoCoRaHS observations in their map which are biased low due to the rapid melting of this snow and the fact that most of it fell during the overnight when most people were asleep >>> unlikely to catch the max snow depth. For this storm, I use ground truth reports from this forum and Americanwx first plus social media, followed by NWS LSRs, & then CoCoRaHS to fill in any gaps I am potentially missing.

Back