• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February 2024

That was the one where I was out of town on business in Detroit lol, ugh. They got a foot at home with big finish / big flakes that morning like you mention. That storm had huge potential out in the piedmont too, but Raleigh kind of got in on the early overrunning wave of the storm (photo of fire and cars wrecked everywhere), and western piedmont got hit harder with the 2nd wave of the trailing upper low moving in. Needed to have those 2 sync up
There was also this initial disturbance the day before that jackpotted eastern NC. It sure feels like Raleigh gets screwed in all directions and has paid dearly for the January 2000 jackpot, of which I was not here for either.

accum.20140211.gif

I'll go with 2014 February that's when I had my all time biggest snow 19 inches, that def band was something else 4 inches an hour for a few hours. It snowed like 8 inches overnight and def band came through that morning and dropped 11 inches in 4 hours it was amazing...
2004 and 2014 were the two best February storms in my lifetime here in Charlotte. Maybe we’re due?

That was the one where I was out of town on business in Detroit lol, ugh. They got a foot at home with big finish / big flakes that morning like you mention. That storm had huge potential out in the piedmont too, but Raleigh kind of got in on the early overrunning wave of the storm (photo of fire and cars wrecked everywhere), and western piedmont got hit harder with the 2nd wave of the trailing upper low moving in. Needed to have those 2 sync up
That is the storm that took out the Eisenhower Tree at Augusta National. I think they got like an inch of ice accumulation.

I'll go with 2014 February that's when I had my all time biggest snow 19 inches, that def band was something else 4 inches an hour for a few hours. It snowed like 8 inches overnight and def band came through that morning and dropped 11 inches in 4 hours it was amazing...

I was so bitter I missed out on the unforecasted deformation band. Made me bitter about my measly 8” when I was what was unfolding in the foothills! ?

There was also this initial disturbance the day before that jackpotted eastern NC. It sure feels like Raleigh gets screwed in all directions and has paid dearly for the January 2000 jackpot, of which I was not here for either.

View attachment 142698
Yeah, that was a huge overperformer, too. Can’t believe it’s been 10 years. ?

At least Raleigh overperformed on memes in that storm.

148977232_4024878940863830_1048854207332628338_n.jpg

That was actually 3 parts… a shortwave southern slider on the 11th gave me 3.3”, the big storm started 18 hours later on the 12th and I got 7.4” snow/sleet during the day and evening, went to a period of light freezing rain overnight and got .2” of ice, then went back to heavy snow the next morning with the upper low swinging though and had another 3.9”. Without a doubt one of my favorite weeks of winter weather

That was actually 3 parts… a shortwave southern slider on the 11th gave me 3.3”, the big storm started 18 hours later on the 12th and I got 7.4” snow/sleet during the day and evening, went to a period of light freezing rain overnight and got .2” of ice, then went back to heavy snow the next morning with the upper low swinging though and had another 3.9”. Without a doubt one of my favorite weeks of winter weather
13-14 was a great winter. Pacific was in good shape that year. At least we got memories lol

13-14 was a great winter. Pacific was in good shape that year. At least we got memories lol
IMBY, it was the last great winter, but we didn’t see a flake until mid-February. Same for 2015, which also turned out to be a solid winter once all was said and done.

Yeah, that was a huge overperformer, too. Can’t believe it’s been 10 years. ?

At least Raleigh overperformed on memes in that storm.
Wow 10 years flew by. That was such a great storm, and the days spent tracking it with Burgertime posting the images of those bomb model runs. They were almost unbelievable. I second that one to the crusher on my list.

That early Feb pattern is probably not going to be for the faint of heart. Looks very similar to the 14/15 model runs that wanted to extend the warmth and ridge east but it consistently got cut off. Let's see what happens
for the dummies ill ask..u think its gonna be colder?

Great CAD set up. Temperatures in the mid to upper 60s the day before the storm and then steadily dropped starting late afternoon and were in the 20s by the next morning.
We were driving from Nashville back over the mountains. It was 54 in BNA when we left and still in the 50s as we crossed through the mountains on 40 east. By time we got down the hill to Rutherfordton County, it was dropping through the lower 40s. As I recall, that event was progged to be all freezing rain(after the awful December storm) and sleet saved the day.

Back