• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February 2024

As much moisture is in the ground, it’s going to be very difficult to not see the trees start blooming very quickly if the models are right for late February.
Already seeing some maples here in Wilmington budding out. Weeds are coming out of dormancy but the grass is still brown. If we have a week of 60s, 70s and bright sun it's gonna pop down here. We were already seeing yellow pollen last week. I say bring it on this winter has been horrible, why prolong it

Already seeing some maples here in Wilmington budding out. Weeds are coming out of dormancy but the grass is still brown. If we have a week of 60s, 70s and bright sun it's gonna pop down here. We were already seeing yellow pollen last week. I say bring it on this winter has been horrible, why prolong it
Well I say this every year because of the line of business I’m in….produce buyer for a major grocery chain. The agricultural damage that we could be setting up for with an early bloom is very concerning. Most of the last 8 years, the local strawberry season in the western and central Carolinas has been cut in half due to early blooms followed by hard freezes. Quite often the peach season is getting off to a slow start as well.

Well I say this every year because of the line of business I’m in….produce buyer for a major grocery chain. The agricultural damage that we could be setting up for with an early bloom is very concerning. Most of the last 8 years, the local strawberry season in the western and central Carolinas has been cut in half due to early blooms followed by hard freezes. Quite often the peach season is getting off to a slow start as well.
You can bet we will be majorily above average the first 15 days but the back half of March thru April we will be below average and maybe significantly below average. Winter now is March-May with significantly below average temps.

You can bet we will be majorily above average the first 15 days but the back half of March thru April we will be below average and maybe significantly below average. Winter now is March-May with significantly below average temps.
That’s certainly been the common theme for the last decade for whatever reason. We can expect our most negative temperature anamolies to occur in March and April.

Below average in April and May can be pretty comfortable. I’ll take highs in the 60s in April and 70s in May.

Below average in April and May can be pretty comfortable. I’ll take highs in the 60s in April and 70s in May.
Problem here in the Carolinas we’ve too often been seeing hard freezes in April and miserable chilly rain wedges with temperatures in the 50s like we saw last year on Memorial Day weekend

The warm wx or AN may be inbound. But it sure aint gonna be happening on the weekends. At least the next 2 per 12Z Euro. Now M-F, company time, I'm sure it will be a diff story

I saw New York got 3.2 or so inches of snow this last storm. They said it was the biggest single snow since January 2022. They are in a bad stretch because I’ve had 2 snows in that same time that almost or did double that total. 6 inch storm in march 2022 and the 7 inches from this January. Wild stuff!
we whine but truth is just about all of the 85/95 corridor is in deep hurt for snow right now

I’m not completely sold someone can’t get a surprise novelty event around the 23-25th, a la February 2013. Euro was hinting at some energy around the base of the trough at that time frame before the pattern goes to crap shortly thereafter. We’re not good at timing things up anymore, but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I’m not completely sold someone can’t get a surprise novelty event around the 23-25th, a la February 2013. Euro was hinting at some energy around the base of the trough at that time frame before the pattern goes to crap shortly thereafter. We’re not good at timing things up anymore, but even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Yeah but a broken clock is right twice a day because there is no alternative. Our alternative to snow is no snow and well...

Back