• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February 2024

I’d rather just slow the southern wave down and get the trough in and out so we can overrun into high pressure
It seems like last couple threats have had awful timing. Cant time a wave in the southern stream without northern stream being jacked up. Feels like la nina.

Sent from my SM-A236U using Tapatalk

Here we go with another case of the thickness line means no snow. It’s different in certain situations, it’s not the rain/snow line.
My professor is all about the 540 line it really pains me. You can get snow south of it and you can get sleet north of it.

Much better mean than 12z feel like energy in northern stream trending west is a good thing. Would like to see a phase and roll the dice myself. But living in northern foothills is much better climo for phased events. I think for CLT east may cheer for more of an overrunning event. gfs-ensemble-all-avg-se-total_snow_10to1-8322400.jpg

Sent from my SM-A236U using Tapatalk

Good thing we don’t live at 500mb
thickness.png

The 546 dm thickness is the height difference between 1000-500mb level. The reason it isn't the best is because if you have a near-isothermal layer (temp near freezing from the surface to 500 mb) then the thickness can be greater than 540dm or even 546dm but the entire column could still be technically at or below freezing and supportive of snow.

1000-850mb is a better proxy because it is representative of the lower-layer of the atmopshere, while 850-700mb is representative of mid-levels (think warm noses). With lots of research behind it, the partial thickness nomogram research work done by Kermit Keeter et. al. has proven over the years to be a very effective method of precpitation type foreasting. 1000-850mb thickness is also effective for high temperature forecasting and is often referenced in NWS AFDs also.

Reference: https://www.noaa.gov/jetstream/upper-air-charts/constant-pressure-charts-thickness

Last edited:
Back