• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February 2024

At hour 210, it is plenty cold for much of us. But, we'd have to worry about the storm being pushed to far south/east. **BUT--great for 8 days out.
We say it so many times but this just shows how everything has to be perfect to snow in the south.

Interestingly, it seems like the CMC has been the most consistent. No one is more surprised by this than me, but I checked the h5 skill scores recently and the CMC was actually second behind the Euro with the GFS and UKMET having some terrible verification scores at times.

IMO the CMC H5 solution that the 12z GFS is close to has great potential and this is what I personally am rooting for. We need to get a strong cold push and hope that we can have a little bit of the tail end of the northern stream inject into the southern wave and it will pull the system north into the cold ala yesterday's 12z GFS (or even colder depending on the timing).

gem_z500a_namer_fh162_trend.gif

I still stand by this. The probability of at least phasing 2/3 seems elevated if we can pull this setup forward.

Kick the southern s/w up toward Texas and...

Sg2E6eY.png

The trend has been for that low in the pacific to consolidate well off the coast, I would think that would be a common tendency for big bank to take little bank. With that being said you’d think the Atlantic side would also do the same and consolidate off the coast a little faster allowing that northern piece “fly in the ointment” to trend easterly into the main lobe allowing more high pressure to funnel in and create a more textbook overrunning type look. Just my two pennies.

We say it so many times but this just shows how everything has to be perfect to snow in the south.
It's like synchronized swimming getting all these pieces to line up. We've got no business trying to follow these things from 10 days out, but we're just deranged snow hounds afflicted with a disease and can't help it. I will say this...because we have to look ahead so far into the future to see opportunities, many of the posters on here develop a feel over time with respect to which setups at range have real potential and are worth spending time investigating and which ones aren't.

Back