• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February 2024

Euro looks good verbatim as long as the s/w doesn't get squashed by the powerful 50/50 ULL. It's just slower.

JmgZ4lz.png

I'm not a fan of this 24-hour change. Just an OP doing what OPs do and all those caveats.
View attachment 145727
Still the end result would have probably been a significant winter storm for the Carolinas and northern GA. Like you said though, it’s an op run toward the end of its range so you can expect some differences. I think the one thing it showed is that anyone worried about suppression based on the GEFS shouldn’t.

Banger block and 5050 setup do go on to save it

View attachment 145735
textbook. Still can’t help abut worry about the pacific. We were in this same boat back in January and the pacific didn’t want to cooperate while the Atlantic side was checking all the boxes. That 50/50 was churning though. Stuck where we want it

Maybe it’s ok if the pacific goes to ? but we need it to hang back like @SD said. We need to give our high just enough time to build in before the west coast breaks down.
IMO the bigger issue In January was the configuration of the TPV. The Pacific wasn’t horrible at the time and it was certainly in position where east of the mountains has scored before with a jammed up Atlantic.

Last edited:
We don't know if this cold is blocked in for the next 48hrs following though really do we? Hopefully not retreating out. More worried about that than suppressed. Otherwise that has PD storm written all over it.
Pretty big block in tandem with the 50/50. It’s blocked pretty nicely. 2A13ED71-45A4-4F1F-A785-EF085473FF63.png

Funny what happens to surface temperature anomalies in mid-late February when precipitation falls into a relatively dry air mass. This is met 101 stuff.

You get the large scale details right, this stuff falls into place. I would know, I've had pie on my own face a couple times betting against snow due to boundary layer warmth in..... March.

ecmwf-ensemble-c00-se-t2m_f_anom-8365600.png

Back