• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February 2024

Would be nice to get a storm on the board for some folks in the early part of this better pattern.

Moving ahead after that storm potential around next weekend, the GEPS out to day 10 here has the best representation for where I think we are headed, though it may be a little quick. Each Pacific Jet extension this winter has been quite strong (Strong El Nino at work), and this next one arriving in California / Baja late next week is no exception. But the jet should back off in the Feb 22-24 timeframe and calm down with the heavy low anomalies pounding into the west coast. As it backs off, I think we are going to see a legit retrograding block that runs SW toward Hudson Bay, with the N Atlantic getting blocked up (Edit: and I think the blocking will be slow to rot away)....2 reasons for this: 1) we've moved more toward a traditional blocking origin location (Scandinavia), and 2) trends with the stratosphere have continued to improve where we are now seeing not only good chances for an official SSW, but also, a prolonged period where the SPV doesn't recover in strength.

That type of evolution would set the stage for a big KU, east coast nor'easter type storm, with us in the south / southeast also having a shot on either side (all of this in the late Feb / early Mar timeframe). A nice sequence for us in the SE associated with Atlantic Blocking has occurred in the past where there has been a nor'easter > suppressed storm track behind the nor'easter > SE winter storm. Off the top of my head, I know Feb 12, 2010 and Feb 15, 1969 were both like that

xFWgjef.gif

Last edited:
Would be nice to get a storm on the board for some folks in the early part of this better pattern.

Moving ahead after that storm potential around next weekend, the GEPS out to day 10 here has the best representation for where I think we are headed, though it may be a little quick. Each Pacific Jet extension this winter has been quite strong (Strong El Nino at work), and this next one arriving in California / Baja late next week is no exception. But the jet should back off in the Feb 22-24 timeframe and calm down with the heavy low anomalies pounding into the west coast. As it backs off, I think we are going to see a legit retrograding block that runs SW toward Hudson Bay, with the N Atlantic getting blocked up....2 reasons for this: 1) we've moved more toward a traditional blocking origin location (Scandinavia), and 2) trends with the stratosphere have continued to improve where we are now seeing not only good chances for an official SSW, but also, a prolonged period where the SPV doesn't recover in strength.

That type of evolution would set the stage for a big KU, east coast nor'easter type storm, with us in the south / southeast also having a shot on either side (all of this in the late Feb / early Mar timeframe). A nice sequence for us in the SE associated with Atlantic Blocking has occurred in the past where there has been a nor'easter > suppressed storm track behind the nor'easter > SE winter storm. Off the top of my head, I know Feb 12, 2010 and Feb 15, 1969 were both like that

xFWgjef.gif
post this on twitter my guy. This is a fantastic post. Winter isn't going anywhere.

GFS and its ensembles are on an island right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wouldn’t say the GEFS is on an island, but I just can’t understand why anyone can put any value in the Op GFS past 5 days out. It literally went from a southern GA/SC winter storm to a cutter in one run

I wouldn’t say the GEFS is on an island, but I just can’t understand why anyone can put any value in the Op GFS past 5 days out. It literally went from a southern GA/SC winter storm to a cutter in one run
Yep, we should have learned by now that the GFS OP sucks and changes with every run. Could it be right? Sure, but it is a very rare occurrence.

Yep, we should have learned by now that the GFS OP sucks and changes with every run. Could it be right? Sure, but it is a very rare occurrence.
GFS and Euro are virtually identical out to 180 at h5 - with probably the most significant difference being with the vortex in the NE. Pretty remarkable if you ask me.
gfs-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-7955200.png

ecmwf-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-7955200.png

The day 10-12 18z GFS op run is certainly within the envelope of any of the ensemble means.

IMG_0626.pngIMG_0625.png

Back