• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February 2024

Wow! That truly is a dead-ringer.

I know 1960 was epic for the Carolinas. How did Ala. and Ga. do that year? Does anyone have that handy?
All I know is that it better have snowed in Lavonia, Ga during that time or there's just no hope for that town. ;)

I feel like the regular Euro Control run is representative of recent trends with the pattern

The Pac Jet extension is trending stronger into the west coast. Because it is at a low latitude, this gives us our stream of southern waves; but it also breaks down the W North America ridging. The little ridge that breaks off there in W Canada does help to deliver cold air south this run. On the Atlantic side, the origin of the Greenland Blocking is moreso coming out of Scandinavia which is more of a traditional location for quality, retrograding blocks...and we have 50/50 lows pinwheeling underneath the blocking ridge. So if the Pacific side is going to be of limited help with cold air delivery, we need the Atlantic side to get blocked up like this Euro C run is showing.

PJsqmss.gif

Then moving forward, as long as the pinched off ridge above Alaska doesn't drop down into E Asia, the pattern should retrograde with the Pac Jet backing off in late Feb following high pressure being replaced with low pressure in E Asia.

y8po6d2.gif

The Valentines Close enough to watch storm at 12z, Had the 12z Icon in the neighborhood. Be interesting to see if we can pull a rabbit out of the hat. And yea 1960 was epic lots of places. Boone had a total of 3 feet from 3 separate storms. 3 straight Wednesdays in a row. Looks like Metwannabe in below pic, must have been visiting high country back then.

1960-Boone-snow-Glenn-Thomas2-630x481.jpg

48206612_10158017028376632_4546852263028588544_n.jpg

CLT had 25" of snow across 3 events across 10 days in March 1960...RDU was around 15".
For March 1960, CLT had 21.7” it’s still the snowiest month in the city’s history. The total for the winter was 25” and all of that occurred after 2/12… there was a storm that gave the city 3.3” over Valentine’s Day. The first of the March storms was on 3/2 and gave CLT 9.5”… one of many big snowstorms to happen 3/2 which is the reason why 3/2 is on average the snowiest day of the year in CLT

The Valentines Close enough to watch storm at 12z, Had the 12z Icon in the neighborhood. Be interesting to see if we can pull a rabbit out of the hat. And yea 1960 was epic lots of places. Boone had a total of 3 feet from 3 separate storms. 3 straight Wednesdays in a row. Looks like Metwannabe in below pic, must have been visiting high country back then.

1960-Boone-snow-Glenn-Thomas2-630x481.jpg

48206612_10158017028376632_4546852263028588544_n.jpg
That was my mom’s freshman year at App St. She said that the school never cancelled classes that month. Of course it was much smaller and just a teacher’s college at that point with all students living on campus

really lovely euro run. no bs no gimmicks just a pleasant storm track with plenty of analogs. feels like one of the storms we tracked in college (mid 2010s). needs to be colder obviously but not an impossible task with some northern stream chicanery

Last edited:
For March 1960, CLT had 21.7” it’s still the snowiest month in the city’s history. The total for the winter was 25” and all of that occurred after 2/12… there was a storm that gave the city 3.3” over Valentine’s Day. The first of the March storms was on 3/2 and gave CLT 9.5”… one of many big snowstorms to happen 3/2 which is the reason why 3/2 is on average the snowiest day of the year in CLT
My G'ma and mom always talked about this year.
It snowed in Tryon NC 3 Weds in a row that year in March if I'm not mistaken.
I'm pretty sure it did at GSP also just to the South of where my Mom & her parents where living at that time.

Back