• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February 2024

That 2/13-14 system can get really really interesting in a hurry as models resolve the timing and the vortex or lack of over the NE. Realistically it should be a cold rain with a follow up system 2/16-17 being more interesting. With the euro being close to a last second phase though it has to make your eyebrows raise

Last edited:
That 2/13-14 system can get really really interesting in a hurry as models resolve the timing and the vortex or lack of over the NE. Realistically it should be a cold rain with a follow up system 2/16-17 being more interesting. With the euro being close to a last second phase though it has to make your eyebrows raise though
Wonder if the euro is just holding back the shortwave to much, like it normally does

Wonder if the euro is just holding back the shortwave to much, like it normally does
I think this is one we want held back. If it pops out too soon there's going to be a carcass of the SER and it'll be biased north like the gfs or bodily pulled into the meat grinder like the cmc. I would assume that the eps members with snow in the time frame are the slowest

CAD just isn't a really good setup for snow in the Southeast. It can set the tone for ground temps, but getting those 850/925 temps where they need to be with solely CAD influence is a pretty hard thing to do. You need cold air funneling in from the NW and sliding east.

CAD just isn't a really good setup for snow in the Southeast. It can set the tone for ground temps, but getting those 850/925 temps where they need to be with solely CAD influence is a pretty hard thing to do. You need cold air funneling in from the NW and sliding east.
Ehhhh it depends. Usually the setup for CAD has a heighten field out ahead of the storm which helps drive it north before relocating to the coast. In this instance the heights across the east as depicted are lowered as you have troughs all across the 50/50 region and the southern United States due to El Niño influence

This is the deepest dive yet on the EURO ext. Maybe we really can lock in the -NAO and bring March in like a lion.
ps2png-worker-commands-689fbb6985-2zrkk-6fe5cac1a363ec1525f54343b6cc9fd8-fuxUc5.png

This is the deepest dive yet on the EURO ext. Maybe we really can lock in the -NAO and bring March in like a lion.
ps2png-worker-commands-689fbb6985-2zrkk-6fe5cac1a363ec1525f54343b6cc9fd8-fuxUc5.png
That's interesting, the model backed off, now it's back at it again. I believe it did the same thing earlier. Regardless, the polar vortex is going to get smacked around awhile.

Sent from my SM-A136U1 using Tapatalk

For us SE of the Apps, the best setups are CAD combined with it being cold everywhere (surface on up). CAD isn't limited to ice / sleet storms. But CAD can help to give us folks SE of the Apps that extra bit of wiggle room to ensure a winter storm vs. a rainy one

That's interesting, the model backed off, now it's back at it again. I believe it did the same thing earlier. Regardless, the polar vortex is going to get smacked around awhile.

Sent from my SM-A136U1 using Tapatalk
Yep. It backed off quite a bit on yesterday's run. Of course, it should be noted that only a few days before the January SSW, it backed off a reversal at the last minute. Of interest, unlike in January, the PV doesn't look like it will rapidly recover this time.

Last edited:
For us SE of the Apps, the best setups are CAD combined with it being cold everywhere (surface on up). CAD isn't limited to ice / sleet storms. But CAD can help to give us folks SE of the Apps that extra bit of wiggle room to ensure a winter storm vs. a rainy one
Yea, especially important in Feb/March to help negate boundary layer issues from sun angle.

Ideally, I look for a banana high here at the tail end of CAD country.

Some of the Carolina Piedmont and SC upstate best snowstorms have come from CAD

Back