• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February 2024

Possibly (it's so far out we're losing a lot of things to smoothed out means), but we're also gaining undercutting energy moving in at a favorable latitude with a locked-in PV in prime position. The time period just after the 20th that I believe @griteater has also been mentioning looks to be our time if we can keep the trends going.
I've mentioned a lot of time periods, so there's no way I can miss hahaha. No really, everything is falling in place, and like mentioned last night, it's just going to come down to the smaller details going forward I think.

Here is a 500mb comparison for days 10-15 on the GEFS / EPS / CMCE.

The GEFS is injecting the most momentum into the Pac Jet and has this Super El Nino look to it with the more intense and farther east Aleutian Low anomalies. That breaks down some of the western N America ridge strength; and on the Atlantic side, the -NAO isn't quite as robust

The CMCE is the weakest of the 3 with the Pac Jet and has the strongest W N Amer ridge and -NAO signature.

As mentioned before, I think the EPS is the one to ride with in this El Nino / Split / HL Blocking setup. Given that it lies in between the other 2 gives it even more credence.
Feb 5 3 ENS Compare 500.gif

Accordingly, here is the temperature comparison where the CMCE is the coldest by far. The CMCE is the place where I'd personally like to see us in the end. I'd like to see the GEFS and EPS trend colder...and if there ever is a scenario where models trend colder, it's with heavy -NAO blocking signatures like this.

Feb 5 3 ENS Compare T.gif

If this were to not work out on the front side of the nice pattern, I don't think that's going to be the end of it. The Euro Weeklies here make a beautiful move in dropping the Greenland blocking anomalies to the west <and> south, while the Pac Jet backs off some and western ridging isn't getting impinged

Feb 5 EPS Wk Loop.gif

Last edited:
I've mentioned a lot of time periods, so there's no way I can miss hahaha. No really, everything is falling in place, and like mentioned last night, it's just going to come down to the smaller details going forward I think.

Here is a 500mb comparison for days 10-15 on the GEFS / EPS / CMCE.

The GEFS is injecting the most momentum into the Pac Jet and has this Super El Nino look to it with the more intense and farther east Aleutian Low anomalies. That breaks down some of the western N America ridge strength; and on the Atlantic side, the -NAO isn't quite as robust

The CMCE is the weakest of the 3 with the Pac Jet and has the strongest W N Amer ridge and -NAO signature.

As mentioned before, I think the EPS is the one to ride with this El Nino / Split / HL Blocking setup. Given that it lies in between the other 2 gives it even more credence.
View attachment 145268

Accordingly, here is the temperature comparison where the CMCE is the coldest by far. The CMCE is the place where I'd personally like to see us in the end. I'd like to see the GEFS and EPS trend colder...and if there ever is a scenario where models trend colder, it's with heavy -NAO blocking signatures like this.

View attachment 145269

If this were to not work out on the front side of the nice pattern, I don't think that's going to be the end of it. The Euro Weeklies here make a beautiful move in dropping the Greenland blocking anomalies to the west south, while the Pac Jet backs off some and western ridging isn't getting impinged

View attachment 145270
Great in-depth post as always Grit!

Sent from my SM-A136U1 using Tapatalk

What’s the significance of that? Asking for a friend

I don’t know about the Carolinas, but from the past snows storms in AL you want to be close to that line. Now ofcourse, situations vary, but when I see that 558dm line preferably the 552dm line dig deep my ears definitely perk up.

We just ain’t gonna talk about this? 50/50 low ain’t budging…honk honkView attachment 145286
Just hope it isn’t to suppressive by sticking around, but normally they trend quicker closer to go time. Give me a Miller B mixed bag with front end snow to mix, that’s the only way to win seemingly the last decade. but that’s a good look

The problem with that system on the GFS is there seems to be zero support for a storm then on the EPS/CMCE.

But I'm thinking that's why they're looking better than the GFS/GEFS for a threat down the road a few days.

Probably has something to do with them showing a better/stronger 50/50 being established in that day 10-12 range.

Back