• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February 2024

no but a few years ago he said there would be a year where Charlotte didn’t see a trace of snow and now it’s been two years and he’s showboating while the weenie inside of him is crying out for help
It's wild to me that people cope that way, even people in here do it. Like negativity is going to wash out their frustration or something. Lol

I know it's 300+,but GFS op trying to sniff out the pattern of interest.
b2a0716ac7fafa564cf2471fce490232.jpg

Sent from my SM-A136U1 using Tapatalk

There is a big one near 1050 in SE Canada but the bigger concern on this long range Hail Mary shot is the wiener roast at 500mb
Keep a eye on that -EPO it showed to go back positive in the LR today.That would be a killer for our cold source especially that late in the winter, BJ showed it in his video this evening.

I know the thread is closed for the storm in progress right now, and the interest has subsided since there isn't snow involved, (myself included) but, this was a very odd system. I've been watching models since I could get them on the internet...(1990's MRF and such), but I have never seen a system that looked and performed quite like this one. I don't remember seeing such a long band of rain NW to SE that slid Southeast then south. Typically, the Nw to SE oriented band extending from LP moves NE as a warm front, followed by a SW to NE oriented band moves SE as a cold front. Also, the occurrence of multiple sub 1000mb LP, almost simultaneously forming in GOM, off the Georgia Atlantic coast, and finally across southern tip of Fla, (The Southern most LP has not developed yet, though I fully expect it to because of the accuracy the models have displayed in the short term.) It is the strangest layout I've ever seen! Have any of you guys ever seen a system like this?!! By the way, the 3kNAM has been almost spot on it seems from the temperature layers, to the LP formations, to the Precip bands?

I know the thread is closed for the storm in progress right now, and the interest has subsided since there isn't snow involved, (myself included) but, this was a very odd system. I've been watching models since I could get them on the internet...(1990's MRF and such), but I have never seen a system that looked and performed quite like this one. I don't remember seeing such a long band of rain NW to SE that slid Southeast then south. Typically, the Nw to SE oriented band extending from LP moves NE as a warm front, followed by a SW to NE oriented band moves SE as a cold front. Also, the occurrence of multiple sub 1000mb LP, almost simultaneously forming in GOM, off the Georgia Atlantic coast, and finally across southern tip of Fla, (The Southern most LP has not developed yet, though I fully expect it to because of the accuracy the models have displayed in the short term.) It is the strangest layout I've ever seen! Have any of you guys ever seen a system like this?!! By the way, the 3kNAM has been almost spot on it seems from the temperature layers, to the LP formations, to the Precip bands?
I was thinking that today that it looked weird

For years now, we've seen a tendency for the TPV to not fully slide eastward under Greenland blocking when we've had opportunities for it to. If that TPV doesn't fully come under the block and into favorable position in northern New England / southeastern Canada, which the EPS out to 2/19 still isn't showing a definitive signal of, it will likely wreck the pattern and either the Midwest and/or New England will be getting snow while we continue just like we have been. It is hard to break these kind of year-over-year tendencies.
ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-height_prob_le_504-1707048000-1707912000-1708344000-20-2.gif
At least as of now, it seems like the weaker the TPV is, the more likely it will be to slide east. If it remains very strong, it appears more EPS members keep it further west. Something to consider.
ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-height_prob_le_528-8344000.png
Until we can move beyond this multi-year tendency, I think it is wise to continue to look for and assess the signs and indications that it may happen again, while obviously hoping and praying it doesn't.

Last edited:
Not withstanding @1300's post above about getting the details right regarding the placement of key features (agree), tonight's GEFS Extended run is just a parade of high latitude blocking, 50/50 lows, W Canada ridging, & southern stream

Here are a series of images thru the run when there is a 50/50 low anomaly noted off the northeast coast (Feb 15 to the end of the run at Mar 10):

Feb 4 GEFS Ext Loop.gif

Not withstanding @1300's post above about getting the details right regarding the placement of key features (agree), tonight's GEFS Extended run is just a parade of high latitude blocking, 50/50 lows, W Canada ridging, & southern stream

Here are a series of images thru the run when there is a 50/50 low anomaly noted off the northeast coast (Feb 15 to the end of the run at Mar 10):

View attachment 145154
There's no doubt the background state is about as favorable as we can get - canonical February ENSO response + MJO phase 8-1 progression. Hopefully that gets us over the hump. This should be money, but we've tried to cash a few fraudulent checks in recent years and so my guard remains up for the time being.

You think this was why some of the mets were beginning to throw in the towel today?
I'll be clear - anyone already throwing in the towel considering the overall picture either has no idea what they are doing, or they're being insincere. We may end up failing the same way we've failed for four years, but no one can possibly definitively say that with sound science at this time! Certainly makes sense to be guarded and cautious, but there are also reasons to be optimistic as @griteater and others have been sharing considering the background state headed our way.

There's no doubt the background state is about as favorable as we can get - canonical February ENSO response + MJO phase 8-1 progression. Hopefully that gets us over the hump. This should be money, but we've tried to cash a few fraudulent checks in recent years and so my guard remains up for the time being.
You are absolutely correct. Things can certainly change and deteriorate over the next couple of weeks, but as things look today, we couldn't hardly ask for anything more...and that still may not be enough...but let the chips fall where they may

Back