• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February 2024

The 06z GEFS is one of the best looks we've seen so far leading up to this pattern.
Yea, it really joined the party with what the EPS/CMCE are showing.

Strong signal for greenland blocking that retrogrades west over time, in addition to a stout west coast ridge and undercutting jet with a 50/50 low in place. Basically; the perfect setup.

Screen Shot 2024-02-04 at 8.38.23 AM.pngScreen Shot 2024-02-04 at 8.38.13 AM.pngScreen Shot 2024-02-04 at 8.37.57 AM.png

Looking at the teleconnections the last couple days and the hints in the modeling, I really think that the 2/18-2/22 timeframe is one to watch.

AO-going sharply negative by the end of the week

NAO-going slightly negative later this week and looks to stay there for a while. Generally the lag time for the -NAO effects to show is 8-10 days.

PNA-staying positive this week but maybe touching neutral for a day next weekend. Then it really spikes after that.

MJO- enters phase 8 this week and might be amped up a bit.

Edit: this timeframe is also one that Grit has been talking about and he’s been doing a very good job with eyeing the pattern progression.

Blizzard conditions 9,000ft above my head tomorrow. Rates will overcome?

xOz3fOA.png

Cold air and 50/50 low trapped underneath GL Blocking with a low latitude southern stream. That's high-end potential stuff, but then it comes down to getting the details right.

Feb 4 EPS.gif

Here is the 850 temp median with 10th percentile and 90th percentile point values at the end of the EPS run. The 0 deg run line runs from NE North Carolina to NE Kansas. What I would like to see is that line running from Charleston to Dallas.

How do we get there? Will the modeling trend colder? Will the GL block work farther southwest? Will the 50/50 be more expansive and farther south? Will those changes force the height pattern to drop farther south? Will the W Canada ridge be more potent and tap more cold air from the pole?

Feb 4 EPS Temps.png

I'm not as big into snow cover as some others maybe, but these images don't help

Feb 4 Snow Cover NA.png

Feb 4 Snow Cover Graph.png

Feb 4 Snow Cover Anoms.png

Cold air and 50/50 low trapped underneath GL Blocking with a low latitude southern stream. That's high-end potential stuff, but then it comes down to getting the details right.

View attachment 145087

Here is the 850 temp median with 10th percentile and 90th percentile point values at the end of the EPS run. The 0 deg run line runs from NE North Carolina to NE Kansas. What I would like to see is that line running from Charleston to Dallas.

How do we get there? Will the modeling trend colder? Will the GL block work farther southwest? Will the 50/50 be more expansive and farther south? Will those changes force the height pattern to drop farther south? Will the W Canada ridge be more potent and tap more cold air from the pole?

View attachment 145088

I'm not as big into snow cover as some others maybe, but these images don't help

View attachment 145089

View attachment 145090

View attachment 145092
Those 850s are still at fairly good spot for an ensemble mean at 15 days out. Also with the snow cover, one region that hasn’t been losing it has been southeast Canada and even northern interior New England… that’s important IMO because that’s the region we tap into for CAD.

Those 850s are still at fairly good spot for an ensemble mean at 15 days out. Also with the snow cover, one region that hasn’t been losing it has been southeast Canada and even northern interior New England… that’s important IMO because that’s the region we tap into for CAD.
I hear ya, but you and I both would rather be in a ‘great’ spot rather than a ‘fairly good’ one. Let’s see how things trend

I think 1300m will approve of the PV location on the 06z GEFS.

February 20th'ish seems like it might be the day for a winter storm; if we get a winter storm.

View attachment 145066
The way that the gefs rolled that pattern forward with the retrograding NAO, the pv pulling east, and the +height anom north of barrow it has to be checking boxes for higher end events across parts of the region.

This is the 24 hour snow ending at 384, granted its D15/16 but haven't seen one this high this far out on the ens in a whilesn10_024h-mean-imp.conus (1).png

Extending the Euro Op run past day 10 with the control run shows the colder pathway with intense block and 50/50 low couplet (and initial sharp western ridge)

EQGoTE7.gif

CgU4UkA.gif
When looking at the teleconnections, if I were to imagine what a 500mb and 850mb progression would look like, this is it.

View attachment 145087

View attachment 145088

View attachment 145089

View attachment 145090

View attachment 145092
The snowpack in the Midwest/Plains should start rebuilding this week.

Getting difficult for me to poo poo the upcoming pattern change...the EPS has brought this to day 11-12 now and looks legit. Displaced Aleutian low. One thing I want to see is lipstick red over AK.

Past 4 EPS runs centered on 2/16

EPSHeight.gif

Last edited:
Back