• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February 2024

But what I’m saying and all I’m saying is, it’s normal to get a few warm days like today in Feb, averages and history days it’s normal to get days like today, in February
Seen it hit 80 in feb, downeast, during the mid 1980s. This happens 55-65 frequently. Also get very cold every feb. See-Saw is the norm

Umm..., that has NOTHING to do with seasonal averages and patterns. Sure we'll have some of these days every winter but early Feb is still in the heart of winter. My point is I would much rather it wait to feel like spring when it actually IS spring. We'll have months of that type of weather (and way warmer) b/w mid March and mid Nov, we only get a little time with chances for cold and snow.
I understand you don’t want these temps now but my point is that it is very very normal to have them. In fact, there has never not been a winter where we didn’t have them. You’ll have to move very far north to find a winter that doesn’t at least see a couple 60s here on the east coast, probably Southern New England.

NOTES from WILM NWS...

The NWS Office at Wilmington, NC (ILM airport) stands at ...2,220... consecutive days since the last recorded 1 inch or greater
snowfall for 1 day. (last...Jan 3rd, 2018, 3.4 inches fell)..

That AK ridge progression ? EPO, AO, NAO all trying to cooperate .. cold en route..if we don’t score with this it might be time to move. This is a ?View attachment 144921
That storm in Baja can be seen from a mile (15 days) away. That sure looks like a winter storm on the east coast a few days later. Could be the SE / could be Mid-Atlantic & New England. All ensembles have it

I'm surprised the 2m temperature isn't alot colder with advertised Alaskan ridge and -nao forming!!!
Canada is on fire! Just cause the indicies are great, don’t mean it’s gonna cold, if there isn’t any cold to cold! Days are getting longer in AK by like 10 minutes a day! Takes awhile for cold air to reload!

Canada is on fire! Just cause the indicies are great, don’t mean it’s gonna cold, if there isn’t any cold to cold! Days are getting longer in AK by like 10 minutes a day! Takes awhile for cold air to reload!
Yep. It's unfortunate. It will take a while. Wished the mjo would get to moving and not move slow or get stuck or whatever is going on

That storm in Baja can be seen from a mile (15 days) away. That sure looks like a winter storm on the east coast a few days later. Could be the SE / could be Mid-Atlantic & New England. All ensembles have it

Wasn’t Feb 14’ a “Baja” Phaser ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its really amazing all winter how all the models peg stuff accurately 240 hrs out.
You give them a strong el nino pattern,signal, they latch on consistently. But when we get back to a neutral state of affairs, they cant handle it and model mayhem will ensue once again.
Reminds me of the 93 superstorm. All the local news,weather channel in 1993 had it pegged 5 days out. It was so massive with three branches of the jet phasing. Beleive it was called AVN and Eta models back then. Have no clue as general public had no way to access anything of the sort, pre internet.

Last edited:
Its really amazing all winter how all the models peg stuff accurately 240 hrs out.
You give them a strong el nino pattern,signal, they latch on consistently. But when we get back to a neutral state of affairs, they cant handle it and model mayhem will ensue once again.
Reminds me of the 93 superstorm. All the local news,weather channel in 1993 had it pegged 5 days out. It was so massive with three branches of the jet phasing. Beleive it was called AVN and Eta models back then. Have no clue as general public had no way to access anything of the sort, pre internet.
You're right. WxSouth (Robert) used to talk about how one of the things that he didn't like about El Ninos was how slow the waves move. With Neutral, and especially Nina, the northern stream is more dominant of course and so there tends be smaller waves and faster moving waves, and he seemed to like how that made things more unpredictable and interesting

Seen it hit 80 in feb, downeast, during the mid 1980s. This happens 55-65 frequently. Also get very cold every feb. See-Saw is the norm
February 1989 had temperatures in the upper 70s to lower 80s in CLT the Tuesday and Wednesday before President’s Day weekend. Then by Friday evening a major sleet storm moved in that gave the metro area 2-3” of sleet that finished as a burst of heavy snow on Saturday evening. Then by the following Tuesday it was back in the 60s only to have another storm 2 days later that gave the area 4-8” of snow

The old golden rule was called the double E rule… if the ETA snd the Euro were in lock step.. take it to the bank..
not sure, but the ETA was an older version of the NAM..

Back