• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February 2024

I really don't see how a SSWE this late in the season will benefit us at all. Didn't we have that within the last couple years and all we got was cold in spring and no snow?
It’s different when it’s already rooted to the lower levels initially, H5 is blocked up. Same thing happened this past jan was a instant reaction because the lower levels rooted quickly

feb-24-26-1914-sc-and-nc-snow.jpg

I don't even think that these totals are exactly correct as I've encountered a confirmed report when researching this storm that Fitzgerald, GA received six inches of snow. However, this is a prime example of how it's extremely possible for a post February midpoint snow storm to produce potent snowfall amounts at very Southern latitudes in the region. One can also throw out the dates February 1901, February 1968, February 1979, March 1980, the March storm in 1983 that was referenced earlier, March 1993, the ULL on the first day of March 2009 as other examples in which winter made it's mark late in the season. One has to like the fact that the potential at least appears to be on the table in the second half of the month for something to occur.

It’s different when it’s already rooted to the lower levels initially, H5 is blocked up. Same thing happened this past jan was a instant reaction because the lower levels rooted quickly
If that's the case, we'll just have to hope we can kick a goal with 1 second left on the clock since we're going to be cutting it very close on climo as it is. Of course if we happen to be sent into a relative freezer we would still be plenty cold for snow and it may even help us get a decent track.

Name a winter where it didn’t hit 60s or 70s. I’ll wait
Umm..., that has NOTHING to do with seasonal averages and patterns. Sure we'll have some of these days every winter but early Feb is still in the heart of winter. My point is I would much rather it wait to feel like spring when it actually IS spring. We'll have months of that type of weather (and way warmer) b/w mid March and mid Nov, we only get a little time with chances for cold and snow.

Umm..., that has NOTHING to do with seasonal averages and patterns. Sure we'll have some of these days every winter but early Feb is still in the heart of winter. My point is I would much rather it wait to feel like spring when it actually IS spring. We'll have months of that type of weather (and way warmer) b/w mid March and mid Nov, we only get a little time with chances for cold and snow.
Gotta move north then bro because it’s just not like that in the SE

Our history and averages say it is. If you want today to be the norm in early Feb then you gotta move to FL.
But what I’m saying and all I’m saying is, it’s normal to get a few warm days like today in Feb, averages and history days it’s normal to get days like today, in February

Back