• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry February 19-21, 2020 Winter Storm

The problem for the upstate is it will take time to change over. I’ve seen it time and time again. Only place that gets over 2inches is nc/sc border areas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem for the upstate is it will take time to change over. I’ve seen it time and time again. Only place that gets over 2inches is nc/sc border areas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s not going to take as long as you think or the models are saying. Just wait. Rain/snow line will be around abbeville/greenwood.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Peachtree City GA
200 PM EST Wed Feb 19 2020

GAZ006>009-013>016-201000-
/O.NEW.KFFC.WW.Y.0002.200220T1000Z-200221T0600Z/
Fannin-Gilmer-Union-Towns-Pickens-Dawson-Lumpkin-White-
Including the cities of Dahlonega and Cleveland
200 PM EST Wed Feb 19 2020

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 5 AM THURSDAY TO 1 AM
EST FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Mixture of rain and freezing rain transitioning to snow
and rain and finally to all snow. Total ice accumulations up to
a tenth of an inch. Total snow accumulations of up to one inch
except up to two inches in the highest elevations.

* WHERE...Northeast and portions of north central Georgia. The
most hazardous conditions will be at the higher elevations.

* WHEN...From 5 AM Thursday to 1 AM EST Friday.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions. The hazardous
conditions could impact the morning or evening commute. Freezing
rain followed by snow can create especially hazardous driving
conditions.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Slow down and use caution while traveling.
WWA in effect for parts of N GA.
SPS in effect for the rest of N GA.
Special Weather Statement National Weather Service Peachtree City GA 217 PM EST Wed Feb 19 2020 GAZ001>005-011-012-201000- Dade-Walker-Catoosa-Whitfield-Murray-Chattooga-Gordon- 217 PM EST Wed Feb 19 2020 ...Wintry Mix Possible Thursday Mainly Higher Elevations... An area of low pressure is expected to develop along the Gulf Coast and track offshore the Atlantic coast by Thursday afternoon. This will allow rain initially to develop across the area by Thursday morning. But as colder air filters into the area between 10am and noon, a transition to a mixture of rain and snow is possible. During the afternoon hours, this mixture could briefly change to all snow before quickly ending by mid afternoon. Accumulations are expected to remain limited with generally a half inch or less, except up to an inch at the highest elevations of Dade and Walker counties. Also of concern is the fact that temperatures will drop very quickly Thursday night into Friday morning. Any moisture that remains on the roadways during this timeframe will result in black ice which could create additional hazardous driving conditions. $$ Deese

What's the concern? TIA

It would be much better to see 700mb frontogenesis/WAA over us, 850mb frontogenesis/WAA is a bit more risky, mostly the WAA part, that’s why that warm nose is appearing because of that WAA at/right above 850mb, still frontogenesis at 850mb can produce big rates

Rah goes with Advisory for now...
I agree with it starting as rain and that’s not good as qpf thins further north and west. Advisory makes sense until transition becomes more clear IMO

Last edited:
Rah goes with Advisory for now...
I had many a storm in GSO where they put out WWAs 24 hours before and didn't upgrade to a WSW until the morning of the event (or later). Ex: March 2009, December 2010, etc.

I tend to think we hit warning criteria here, and certainly so further east (2-4" would fit that bill).

Back