• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Feb 2-4 2022 Winter Weather Potential

Unfortunately, power outages are increasing in and around Shelby County. Seeing increases from MLGW and Entergy Outage Maps. Not too bad here in Tate County but Desoto County is starting to freeze over looking at MDOT Traffic Cams.
Yeah, I’m curious about Memphis’ OBS, too. Shows light freezing rain, but 33F. Doesn’t make much sense.

Regardless, the high precip rates combined with marginal temperatures will keep as much ZR from accruing as otherwise would, fortunately.

It looks like the Tulsa area is one of the big winners in OK with already ~6” of snow from ~0.40” liquid meaning an impressive 15:1 ratio with still more snow to come, possibly as much as 2-3 more inches from a subsequent wave. So, this would be a total of ~8-9”, which if it gets there would meet the impressive expectations and would mean already a top 10 snowiest Feb on record there with it only February 3rd!

Last edited:
You know I wasn't impressed last night but man today yeah... This is definitely one of the biggest storms I've seen and it's not even over yet. It never stopped snowing til daybreak and like said above there's still a shot at another inch or two tonight. I don't think I have as much as the airport but it's very hard to tell because it's been blowing around

Main road in front of my apartment

IMG-20220203-104136098-HDR.jpg

Walkway to my apartment

IMG-20220203-103646683-HDR.jpg

IMG-20220203-104532687-HDR.jpg

IMG-20220203-104615971.jpg

The wind has been blowing it all around, but I have seen anywhere from 4.5-6” of snow. Probably got about 1-1.5” of that since 7 AM when the snow picked back up again. Still forecast to see another 2-3” by midnight.

The wind has been blowing it all around, but I have seen anywhere from 4.5-6” of snow. Probably got about 1-1.5” of that since 7 AM when the snow picked back up again. Still forecast to see another 2-3” by midnight.
I'm happy for you brother. I'm sure that's awesome to play in for a Georgia boy.

I thought ice maps never actually happened?

/sarcasm

I don't think those storms often occur per this magnitude but I catch your drift, nonetheless. This is why when a few on here say (paraphrase), "I just want winter weather even if it's an ice storm...." I have to give the side eye.

A tad (wee) bit of freezing rain before or after a snowstorm via January '88, January 2011, and one of those 2014 storms.... Great! It "brightens" or glistens the snow and gives it a bit more holding power.

Otherwise, I prefer to pass on ice storms. And I'll definitely pass on any ice storm of that enormity above.

I don't think those storms often occur per this magnitude but I catch your drift, nonetheless. This is why when a few on here say (paraphrase), "I just want winter weather even if it's an ice storm...." I have to give the side eye.

A tad (wee) bit of freezing rain before or after a snowstorm via January '88, January 2011, and one of those 2014 storms.... Great! It "brightens" or glistens the snow and gives it a bit more holding power.

Otherwise, I prefer to pass on ice storms. And I'll definitely pass on any ice storm of that enormity above.
A tiny glaze is always nice to look at but that’s it. I never want any part of a big ice storm and I’ve been fortunate to never have more then a quarter inch since I’ve lived here in middle Tennessee for 16 years.

A tiny glaze is always nice to look at but that’s it. I never want any part of a big ice storm and I’ve been fortunate to never have more then a quarter inch since I’ve lived here in middle Tennessee for 16 years.
I think we'll be spared the worst up our way. :) 0.10-0.20 for us. Let's hope it stays more on the .10 side of things.

Starting to snow here again. Forecasting 2-3 inches but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a little more because we're not gonna have to mix with sleet this time

What's ironic is last night we only managed 2 and a half inches in 5 hours so yeah we might match or beat it since the snow will peak this evening and be over after midnight

Back