• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Feb 19-20 Possible Front-End Snow/Ice Thump

whats Wrong with the map chief ?
All winter long it has been a fail. Tennessee isn’t going to score that much. Much of the Asheville area south-west isn’t going to either in CAD to that degree at least. Greensboro won’t hold the throne over places like Hickory. Those widespread heavy totals in WV will not verify. It has failed all winter with CAD with too much ice and wrong placement. CAD ground zero is the escarpment not Tennessee. I could go on and on.

Western Surry into eastern Alleghany NC will outdo just about any of those heavier areas on that map. 90% of the time. I don’t think the NWS uses that particular model data at all.i have never seen a human forecast match up with it at least.

Western Surry into eastern Alleghany NC will outdo just about any of those heavier areas on that map. 90% of the time. I don’t think the NWS uses that particular model data at all.i have never seen a human forecast match up with it at least.

Lol matched up with the anafront fail weeks ago, it showed the bust potential and It happened, it also did ok in my opinion with the Dec storm, it showed insane amounts back with that January storm because it doesn’t account ronoff due to heavy precip rates, it counts all of it as ZR, it’s not a bad model

Yea it can be useful some. But it will continued to be ignored as it shows over half an inch of ice for northeast TN where there will not even be a winter weather advisory. It’s a hot mess and totally useless in many areas.

Looks like Transylvania and Henderson counties ground zero.
May be a little surprise there with a more favored earlier arrrival that far south-west. Any snow sleet accums would help rack that ZR total way up giving it something to stick to. I think this ground zero stretches from where you mentioned up to Boone.

Lol matched up with the anafront fail weeks ago, it showed the bust potential and It happened, it also did ok in my opinion with the Dec storm, it showed insane amounts back with that January storm because it doesn’t account ronoff due to heavy precip rates, it counts all of it as ZR, it’s not a bad model
The thing that confuses me is that GSP has winter storm warnings out and their forecast accumulation map show no warning criteria ice or snow for anyone including the mountains... strange. Someone explain that one to me.

Any ground truth to the snow returns on radar in north Georgia?

HRRR and most models saying precip should start really developing starting over Louisiana around 8 am ... it’s currently 2 am and this is what our radar looks like ... intitial band is flourishing on radar too doesn’t really look like it’s drying out ... will be interesting to nowcast I will reiterate

Attachments

• 4272AD98-0F3C-4D54-BCC4-248A7A94F6A2.jpeg
    4272AD98-0F3C-4D54-BCC4-248A7A94F6A2.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 27
  • 32BCFF99-FF4B-4CA4-A63E-3BEF5531793B.jpeg
    32BCFF99-FF4B-4CA4-A63E-3BEF5531793B.jpeg
    468.2 KB · Views: 27
Even tho the hrrr is crappy, it’s interesting, still showing mostly rain after prolly due to its warm/mixing bias F33E93C1-8E63-49D2-BC91-8491E8709253.jpeg

RAH has issued a WWA for the Piedmont Triad. Potential for up to .10 ice accrual.

6Z NAM has backed way off with the freezing rain potential in the Piedmont regions. We'll have to see if this continues with the 12Z suite, but I'm inclined to believe in more of a cold rain than any significant ice accrual. We'll see.

6Z NAM has backed way off with the freezing rain potential in the Piedmont regions. We'll have to see if this continues with the 12Z suite, but I'm inclined to believe in more of a cold rain than any significant ice accrual. We'll see.
Yes it did. Looks like everything is trending towards the GFS.

Back