• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Feb 19-20 Possible Front-End Snow/Ice Thump

Webberweather53

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Well, I think the overall sentiment here is at least it's better than nothing, hopefully we end up with a heavy band of precip on the front-end to take advantage of what cold air will be in place at the onset over the traditional CAD areas of VA, & NC, SC, & NE GA.

Let's at least reel some token flakes/sleet pellets in

12z Euro tried to throw the I-20 corridor of GA & SC a bone.

Would be nice to see Atlanta & Columbia pick up at least some flakes or sleet pellets.
View attachment 15860
I have to wonder if it's just sleet over here in GA. Seems to be that way and for flakes I would guess to be limited to the mountains and the upper half of NC.

I have to wonder if it's just sleet over here in GA. Seems to be that way and for flakes I would guess to be limited to the mountains and the upper half of NC.

This GFS sounding for 12z Wed is within reach to see a few token flakes if the column fully saturates and we see a bit more cold/dry advection at the onset. More likely to be sleet or sleet/rain than snow at the onset given how quickly the warm nose arrives, only way we really get anything is with a heavy band of precip on the front-end.

gfs_2019021712_048_KATL.png

The RGEM ensembles are very bullish on mixed/icy precip for a good chunk of NC.
PT_panel_072.gif

Weird, CAD looks a little bit more entrenched this run but it’s a tiny bit warmer on NAM 12km

I just want a threat for a possible delay Wednesday morning for work.

Reactions: IWC
We need that fronto band here (nc) to cool down the column and have a better chance of flakes before WAA comes screaming in
613B9825-76C1-4626-8655-CD400A3D21A0.jpeg

18z ICON has what looks like a little snow for northern AL Tuesday morning.6A374BD0-1DDA-4398-9CB7-8F1B5E76D740.png

Back