• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Feb 19-20 Possible Front-End Snow/Ice Thump

So is this the front end thump that's being advertised or is there another thump coming ?
There's really only 1 front end thump technically speaking.... and what's occurring now in the southern parts of NC is part of that, still to come for areas further north. "Being advertised" not sure exactly what's being implied but the areas that have the advisories have yet to see the precip if that's what you are referencing.

The NAM has been progressively slowing up this intense band of frontogenetical forcing across NC later this evening and into the overnight hours. Areas towards Charlotte and the SC border region may have one final opportunity for a burst of sleet just after rush hour (if at all) before an inevitable changeover to rain.

Closer to the Triangle & the Triad area the band is probably going to move in sometime around 8-11pm or so, those near the VA border may not see much til around midnight or so but we'll see!
namconus_temp_adv_fgen_700_seus_fh15_trend.gif

I’m 5 degrees colder than what was modeled earlier for this time. It’s 35 and was showing 40 on a few runs before. Wondering if cad is stronger.

pouring sleet/graupel and a few big wet snowflakes mixed in there, wish we could of saved this precip for later where the much heavier/steadier rates start so the column won’t be as moist resulting in a better chance for snow, otherwise it’s a big win seeing snow/sleet with this as the dominating pattern F27DA3CD-E721-4C5B-A993-3314E6C9035E.png

My problem is that I’m already at 95% humidity and 35 deg. Not much room to go lower without strong dry wind from the north. It’s about to rain or sleet heavily.

pouring sleet/graupel and a few big wet snowflakes mixed in there, wish we could of saved this precip for later where the much heavier/steadier rates start so the column won’t be as moist resulting in a better chance for snow, otherwise it’s a big win seeing snow/sleet with this as the dominating pattern View attachment 16003
Your phone battery keeps decreasing. It was charging earlier. You are not going to be able to take pics of that big frontogenic band or make it to the 18z models if you don't plug it in!

So is that second heavy wave our round two?
Yes. The band of precipitation over NE GA is part of the complex that could deliver a quick front-end thumping to parts of NC & VA and this band has become considerably heavier and features more hydrometeor melting aloft than it did about an hour or so ago. The secondary circulation generated by the frontogenetical forcing aloft is reinforcing the CAD dome and east-northeasterly flow/dry advection in the low-levels which might explain the brief break we've seen of late. However, isentropic upglide & warm air advection will eventually out and force the precipitation and associated frontogenetical forcing to advance northeastward into the Carolinas & Virginia.

The large area of precip moving through GA right now is the main wave that models had for tonight. The key will be how far east it gets and if there will be enough cooling to switch areas to snow/sleet in Central NC as it moves through.
I know it's more to it than this but I like the trajectory of that wave at the moment..... looks good so far. For folks up along the border timing is much better too

Back