• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Fail or Fab February 2023 Pattern Thread

It’s not going to have any effect on our weather until mid March at the very earliest. The raging +AO in the troposphere is not conducive for downward propagation of the circulation anomalies in the stratosphere that need to occur to have an impact on our sensible weather. If anything, this SSWE is making the pattern worse in February thru its teleconnection to the tropics
Amazing April will deliver! Cold rain Miller A coastals!!!

The CFSv2 looks good here. Too bad it takes until about the 3rd week of March to get a legit -EPO and -NAO.

View attachment 132211
Seems to be a new normal for us the last few years. Warmer winters and cooler springs with less severe storms east of the mountains while Dixie ally gets numerous tornado outbreaks.

The CFSv2 looks good here. Too bad it takes until about the 3rd week of March to get a legit -EPO and -NAO.

View attachment 132211

Fantastic...normally I would be ready for warmer weather in March but any below normal weather will be welcome. Summer going to come no matter what.

There's a mountain thread it's been dead. Fire away in there maybe some of the locals could help out
Nothing to report it's been a bummer up here too. Unless ur rich and live or can afford beech.

GFS has been advertising a decent setup in the 300ish hr timeframe for the last 3 or 4 runs now.. that appears to be our next window.

GFS has been advertising a decent setup in the 300ish hr timeframe for the last 3 or 4 runs now.. that appears to be our next window.
This gfs run is a good example of perfect wave timing and goes back to the discussion about the poor timing we had over the weekend. Even in a sea of warm if you time waves perfect during the short cold shots we have you can get something but the chance of getting it right aren't great come hour 0 unfortunately.

On the positive side there's at least some evidence that we might see the SER get squished back during the 2/17-21 time period so at least the op gfs isn't showing something when say the eps mean is roasting. Again though it's a 24-48 hour window in all likelihood. At this lead time my money would be on something similar to what we had last week where we flatten the top of the SER and gradient then temp pattern from N to S. I'd be licking my chops if I were in the OKC to RIC corridor even that might be on the south end

Last edited:
This gfs run is a good example of perfect wave timing and goes back to the discussion about the poor timing we had over the weekend. Even in a sea of warm if you time waves perfect during the short cold shots we have you can get something but the chance of getting it right aren't great come hour 0 unfortunately.

On the positive side there's at least some evidence that we might see the SER get squished back during the 2/17-21 time period so at least the op gfs isn't showing something when say the eps mean is roasting. Again though it's a 24-48 hour window in all likelihood. At this lead time my money would be on something similar to what we had last week where we flatten the top of the SER and gradient then temp pattern from N to S. I'd be licking my chops if I were in the OKC to RIC corridor even that might be on the south end
Yep, but it's at least a window of opportunity, and still during peak climo. Maybe we can get lucky this time.

@SD Do we know if the lawn thread from.last year is gone? I was trying to recover a picture of my yard from last year and cant seem to find that thread

@SD Do we know if the lawn thread from.last year is gone? I was trying to recover a picture of my yard from last year and cant seem to find that thread
exyaeua3yws01.jpg

Back