• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Fail or Fab February 2023 Pattern Thread

What did 1993 look like heading into March? I remember the storm but not what the weather was like in the preceeding weeks/months.
I think most areas in the Southeast went nearly, or completely, snowless from 1991-1993, so it was a horrible winter. Charlotte’s longest streak of no accumulating snowfall on record came from 1991-1993, IIRC.

For North Carolina folks, the winter of the Carolina Crusher was also terrible with the exception of the Crusher itself and a few days on either side of that one (we got a smaller event a few days before).

I think most areas in the Southeast went nearly, or completely, snowless from 1991-1993, so it was a horrible winter. Charlotte’s longest streak of no accumulating snowfall on record came from 1991-1993, IIRC.

For North Carolina folks, the winter of the Carolina Crusher was also terrible with the exception of the Crusher itself and a few days on either side of that one (we got a smaller event a few days before).
Yeah that ‘99-00 winter basically just had a perfect two weeks where the pattern was right and every threat produced. It’s seems that most years that see a huge storm in the Carolinas , that’s typically the only one of the season here. The biggest exception I can think of would have been ‘03-04 when there had been a significant storm in late January and then of course the big snowstorm the last few days of February

Yeah that ‘99-00 winter basically just had a perfect two weeks where the pattern was right and every threat produced. It’s seems that most years that see a huge storm in the Carolinas , that’s typically the only one of the season here. The biggest exception I can think of would have been ‘03-04 when there had been a significant storm in late January and then of course the big snowstorm the last few days of February

People really have no idea how much it actually used to snow around the Carolinas. Winters like 1999-00, 2003-04, 2017-18, etc. some think of as being good in modern times look pretty average when you put them against older years like 1898-99, 1935-36, 1959-60, 1979-80, etc.

What some forget was that we have severe weather before the snow arrived. We didn't have phones to pull up the radar so we figured it was a bust. Well when it switched to snow it was crazy.
What part of town were you in? We started as sleet never had any rain. We had several inches of snow by 8:30pm that night.

We had heavy rain and thunder . I don’t remember when it switched to snow but it was rain when I went to sleep and snowing like crazy when I woke up early in the morning.
I went to sleep with a lot of snow but woke up to the thunder and lightning thinking we'd gone over. I didn't know Thundersnow existed at the time.

I was in the SW NC mountains in 93. We did get a mid to late February snow of a few inches. 1st one of winter I beleive. Then the blizzard came. It was a cold several days afterwards with 0 degree nights, Tuckasegee River froze over completely.
January 2000 had best 10 day stretch of winter wx ever here In Randolph County. But both where warm and non eventfull outside those events. Not sure but beleive it was Early May of 1993 and it snowed 60 inches on Mt pisgah, like a foot in waynesville up through balsam Gap. Rode right through it. If it wasnt 93 it was 1992 or 1991.

I was in the SW NC mountains in 93. We did get a mid to late February snow of a few inches. 1st one of winter I beleive. Then the blizzard came. It was a cold several days afterwards with 0 degree nights, Tuckasegee River froze over completely.
January 2000 had best 10 day stretch of winter wx ever here In Randolph County. But both where warm and non eventfull outside those events. Not sure but beleive it was Early May of 1993 and it snowed 60 inches on Mt pisgah, like a foot in waynesville up through balsam Gap. Rode right through it. If it wasnt 93 it was 1992 or 1991.
It was early May of 1992. I was camping with my Dad and a couple of his buddies outside of Maggie Valley and we had no idea that snow was coming.

Back