• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Fabulous February

I’ve spent the entire winter hoping the FV3 would be right. What does the 12z show?

b2db4d5916e76c770e8e8edaf5a4146a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first question is why are degreed mets like JB looking at 10:1 ratio snow maps on TT that are obviously not a fault of the model but the algorithm used to calculate it?

It would be cool if Americans were smart enough to use a more conservative algorithm for snowfall maps but here we are....

b2db4d5916e76c770e8e8edaf5a4146a.jpg

Well, the FV3 got the December storm right, but has been showing fantasy storm after fantasy storm since January. But now the GFS is showing a good storm for NC and the northern half of SC. Do we not believe the old GFS, too? Are we to the point that if the Euro doesn't show the same thing we just toss it?

Well, the FV3 got the December storm right, but has been showing fantasy storm after fantasy storm since January. But now the GFS is showing a good storm for NC and the northern half of SC. Do we not believe the old GFS, too? Are we to the point that if the Euro doesn't show the same thing we just toss it?
The FV3 continues to show at least some frozen, while the GFS and CMC also do between times when they don’t. I wouldn’t toss them outright, but wth the Euro at least beginning with a little mix across the north after showing rain on the last run, it might give enough confidence that at least a little wintry precip at the onset would be possible, especially with the NAM coming in colder, although it is the longer range NAM, which you could probably toss and expect to trend warmer, along with the FV3 which should eventually cave to the others with its ridiculous snow maps, at least until we see whether or not the other models continue to trend colder or correct back warmer (though often, CAD situations are somewhat underdone — especially classic CADs, which this most certainly is not). Keep for now, but have the toss lever ready.

Back