Pattern Fabulous February

• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!
With the other models bending toward that solution. Looks to be another CAD event. This will be number 5 on the ice event I believe.

If my memory is right there was one in Nov,then one in Dec before the big snow. Remember going up to App football game and one was wanning front end event.

Euro definitely colder.... only a degree or two away from some issues along the border

ecmwf_frz_rain_raleigh_22.png

ecmwf_t2m_raleigh_21.png

Reactions: Rain Cold
Only reason this is not a major winter storm is that SE death ridge, if it was not much of a problem then this would likely be a major winter storm for parts of the SE but nope, SER is that mosquito you can’t swat away from your face/ear

Judah Cohen,

All the metaphors seem apt - even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while and even a broken clock is right twice a day. Is there any chance the FV3 is correct in it's #snowfall forecast for next week? #IWantToBelieve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Folks are going to love the 12Z EPS 11-15 not because it has the SE colder since it doesn't (it is similar to the 0Z overall with warmer than normal giving way to near and then just getting to below normal at the end), but more for what may lie a little later due to a nice looking H5 pattern with an impressive +PNA accompanied by a diving jetstream bringing in cross polar fed Arctic highs into the Plains and Midwest while the conveyor belt of moisture continues unabated in the SE. Get that adjusted a bit and you'd have major SE winter storm potential shortly thereafter in early March. Bottom line: there's no spring in sight once Feb ends per this run.

Last edited:
Folks are going to love the 12Z EPS 11-15 not because it has the SE colder since it doesn't (it is similar to the 0Z overall with warmer than normal giving way to near and then just getting to below normal at the end), but more for what may lie a little later due to a nice looking H5 pattern with an impressive +PNA accompanied by a diving jetstream bringing in cross polar fed Arctic highs into the Plains and Midwest while the conveyor belt of moisture continues unabated in the SE. Get that adjusted a bit and you'd have major SE winter storm potential shortly thereafter in early March. Bottom line: there's no spring in sight once Feb ends.

The eps has failed many times this winter especially in the 10-15 day range . I’m a skeptic

Reactions: Brent and GaWx
Once again the cam is kicked down the rd. Don’t mean this to be banter. We have a real and more serious threat from all the rain coming potential is there for flooding

Lol we knew the rest of feb is toast, this pattern has to switch and these past couple of years it has been March, last year we had a similar pattern (SER dominated) and were looking at the first week of March for potential and ended up with a accumulating snow for some of Nc, I have not been that optimistic for feb but I am for March

Reactions: Webberweather53
Mar-Apr could be ugly for parts of the SE, namely Western NC and Eastern Tn., especially March. Pretty soon we may want to change our seasonal calendars to Winter running from March thru April and then begins Summer.

Reactions: Myfrotho704_
The models are suggesting 20-25 below normal airmasses coming down into the Midwest very late in Feb/start of March. We could be seeing Chicago's lows in the singles and threatening 0/highs in the teens and MSP as cold as the -teens to near -20 for low/highs below 0! Folks, these are similar to temperatures as cold as those that occurred just prior to the great SE winter storms of early March 1960 and 1980! So, there would be plenty of cold to work with IFFFFFF the SER is weakened enough to allow it to be well tapped. This period is going to be a whole lot of fun to follow. In the meantime, enjoy spring and the heavy rains. Also rest up as you may need it for early March!