• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Fabulous February

We're definitely not in neutral ENSO anymore even though the sensible impacts in the SE US aren't what you'd expect in an El Nino February, you simply don't get 3 successive westerly wind burst events, and one w/ > 20 m/s westerly wind anomalies at the dateline in the central Pacific w/o the background state having been already predisposed towards an El Nino to support convection there that non linearly reinforces the subseasonally-induced wind anomaly.

This gigantic dateline westerly wind burst is going to set off a pretty substantial downwelling oceanic kelvin wave that'll kickstart a legitimate moderate-strong El Nino later this year and into the winter of 2019-20.
View attachment 15390

The RMM phase regression maps from Roundy's site don't line up as well when centered over the current period of Feb 10, but w/ early March. The only difference between the regression maps from now vs early March is the OLR (shading) is stronger & further east in the Pacific which better matches the current base state that's either neutral ENSO w/ a clear cut (ongoing) advancement towards El Nino or weak El Nino.
View attachment 15389

It's amazing how well this map predicts/corresponds to the current pattern.

View attachment 15391

So, the good news if I'm following you correctly is that the chance for La Nina next winter is quite a bit lower than average at this point. I'd call average somewhere around 30-33% per your tables that go back to 1865.

18z GEFS...I’ve seen this script before...
2227ccd2e2c1ca6780cbd9b3e91201d8.jpg
18031d824c777c615addab01a344cfbd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What the heck is E-7 and E13 seeing that would produce a outcome like that? Is there a site where you can see the individual ensemble entire runs?

Ensemble 7 shows two southern slider snowstorms for nc than a ice storm, ensemble 13 has a long ice storm for cad areas of nc/sc/ga, crazy run for a lot of the individual members

If we end up in a mod- strong el nino next year, itll be a repeat of this winter minus the Nov - Mid Dec frontload. Atleast the expectation barometer will be floor level low. Big el ninos flood us with pacific air the entire 90 day span of winter.

If we end up in a mod- strong el nino next year, itll be a repeat of this winter minus the Nov - Mid Dec frontload. Atleast the expectation barometer will be floor level low. Big el ninos flood us with pacific air the entire 90 day span of winter.
You are right; the big Q 10 months out is "if" ... hell, i'd just like to see my NWS get a 5 day temp and rain forecast right before worrying about next winter (raining on and off all afternoon, at 10%, if you get my drift) ... :confused:

Last edited:
18z GEFS...I’ve seen this script before...
2227ccd2e2c1ca6780cbd9b3e91201d8.jpg
18031d824c777c615addab01a344cfbd.jpg

Hm, not often do we have a 7” snowfall mean for RDU and come up empty.

Yes the GEFS has had a snowfall mean of 4” and nothing came of it, but 7” for two runs in a row and this many members with snowfall? You have to wonder...is this model that terrible or does it see something?

e8d5f73e5b1f96b07aa65413a56c6f7a.jpg

Also, people forget the GEFS sniffed out the Dec snow first. EPS was completely lost at the beginning with hardly any members with snow, I think it was like 5 out of 50 members at Day 10.

The last 7 days of Feb has had my attention based on analogs, but it definitely has it now.

Last edited:
Hm, not often do we have a 7” snowfall mean for RDU and come up empty.

Yes the GEFS has had a snowfall mean of 4” and nothing came of it, but 7” for two runs in a row and this many members with snowfall? You have to wonder...is this model that terrible or does it see something?

e8d5f73e5b1f96b07aa65413a56c6f7a.jpg

Also, people forget the GEFS sniffed out the Dec snow first. EPS was completely lost at the beginning with hardly any members with snow, I think it was like 5 out of 50 members at Day 10.

The last 7 days of Feb has had my attention based on analogs, but it definitely has it now.

Yeah. I haven’t lost all hope and the last week of February may still yield something for some in the SE. Still a wait and see game.

2011-12 we had a zonal flow most of the winter and it was supposedly a 2nd year La Nina

In other words, we can get crap winters in both El Ninos and La Ninas. That's fine. I love living here anyway. I did the midwest for 3 years and came back south and never looked back.

Back