• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Fabulous February

Wouldn’t this allow that possible storm to cut if this continues ?
View attachment 15382

12z eps through day ten is very active like the gefs
1936adf853a0c7619e1a49437209264d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, the press in the NE , pushing SW on the animation is great, acts like a 50/50 low/ block, poor mans -NAO!! Just where we want it now!!

Just saying cause the epac is probably ? and -PNA won’t help, we’re gonna need to thread a flu shot needle

Nice to know there’s something to at least watch for some in this dreadful pattern...

Yes, Larry; concur; just hate being the echo of somber news ...

The 12Z consensus, including the EPS, is still showing the same general idea, N Pac blocking high/-PNA/SER. Tick tock it refuses to change El Nino/more favorable MJO phases be danged. So, still no good hints through 2/25 on the EPS regarding the general pattern. Blocking patterns are often very stubborn and this is a blocking pattern that is blocking what normally would be an El Nino/favorable MJO induced favorable for SE pattern. This is one of the most persistent, stable patterns I've seen in quite a while. Sometimes they're good and sometimes they're bad. This one (-PNA/+AO/+NAO) is bad.

Last edited:
In this pattern, SERidge (duh), Golfer from AR, Memphis members, and perhaps also the NC Triad folks/NC mtns (semi-duh) have the best shot at at least a little snow among the regular posters.

Last edited:
The 12Z consensus, including the EPS, is still showing the same general idea, N Pac blocking high/-PNA/SER. Tick tock it refuses to change El Nino/more favorable MJO phases be danged. So, still no good hints through 2/25 on the EPS regarding the general pattern. Blocking patterns are often very stubborn and this is a blocking pattern that is blocking what normally would be an El Nino/favorable MJO induced favorable for SE pattern. This is one of the most persistent, stable patterns I've seen in quite a while. Sometimes they're good and sometimes they're bad. This one (-PNA/+AO/+NAO) is bad.
Very bad, if I may editorialize ...

I just hope it's a one year thing and not one of those that lasts for several years.

We're definitely not in neutral ENSO anymore even though the sensible impacts in the SE US aren't what you'd expect in an El Nino February, you simply don't get 3 successive westerly wind burst events, and one w/ > 20 m/s westerly wind anomalies at the dateline in the central Pacific w/o the background state having been already predisposed towards an El Nino to support convection there that non linearly reinforces the subseasonally-induced wind anomaly.

This gigantic dateline westerly wind burst is going to set off a pretty substantial downwelling oceanic kelvin wave that'll kickstart a legitimate moderate-strong El Nino later this year and into the winter of 2019-20.
u.anom.30.5S-5N (11).gif

The RMM phase regression maps from Roundy's site don't line up as well when centered over the current period of Feb 10, but w/ early March. The only difference between the regression maps from now vs early March is the OLR (shading) is stronger & further east in the Pacific which better matches the current base state that's either neutral ENSO w/ a clear cut (ongoing) advancement towards El Nino or weak El Nino.
Screen Shot 2019-02-10 at 4.13.09 PM.png

It's amazing how well this map predicts/corresponds to the current pattern.

Screen Shot 2019-02-10 at 4.16.12 PM.png

Back