• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Fab-February 2020 The dark age

Just looked at the 18z GEFS panel. What's so amazing is that there is a 100 degree F difference in 850mb temps for the city of Chicago between the warmest and coldest two members. I don't think I have ever seen that much of a spread on the same run! What I take away from that is we don't know what will happen in the second half of Feb. Could be some arctic air or an early Spring.

I don't know if this is real. But regardless, I've seen better but I've also seen worse including just the prior EPS run, So, I can certainly handle this ok as it would likely lead to pleasantly low dewpoint days and finally shut off the continuous rain for while without a real torch (this is only a little AN):
1581320606184.png

I just looked at the Ellijay snow history back to 1937-8. It is not filled in for the last 10 years or so. But for 1937-8 through 2008-9, it appears yesterday’s 6” might barely crack the top 10 heaviest single storm list! So, a big deal even up there.

I’m going to check Blairsville next. Their 6”
Looks like it may have barely cracked the top 20 since 1935-6 but am not sure.

Now Dahlonega: also may have barely made top 20 but again not sure.

Larry i've been keeping personal records since 2002 and cocorahs since 2010. The 5.5 i measured Sat was tied with 2011 for second place, with Dec 2017 being number 1 with 7 inches.

FWIW, the EPS continuing on to what Larry said, but the GFS has lower heights in the east but a strong +EPO again. SMH
BEC3DF98-84E9-4D73-A37C-9864B0F5E037.pngDA1486BF-7A01-4328-AE84-889F645F1A60.pngA78A13A9-701A-4F6F-9335-D09B5562BE22.png

Alright as promised and since many of you asked for this, you shall receive. Here are updated maps for North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia plus a regional analysis that stitches together these maps and blends NOHRSC & other analyses from NWS WFOs (like Morristown, TN/MRX). For the statewide maps, I merged NWS Local Storm Reports, CoCoRaHS, mPING, social media, and posts on this forum to construct them. Georgia in particular took longer than both SC & NC to construct, but I hope everyone who was impacted by this storm or watched it from afar enjoys these.

View attachment 33733

View attachment 33734

View attachment 33738

View attachment 33737
wow thanks! i struggled with wanting to turn in 6, as i heard a lot of people around me say 6 or more, but no matter how long i stared at it i couldn't turn in more than 5.5, and now that i see your map it makes me feel better, as it looks like its just east of me and going northeast that it started getting above 6. This indeed was a very rare situation where we at around 1500 feet did well compared to places like Suches that are at 3k, and I think its because they more often than not have "perfect" conditions due to elevation. In this case, we also had perfect conditions, as the cold air was already in place and sort of wedged in, and the storm was not so big and amped to overpower with a warm sector, and this small disturbance came in at the best time of day from the best angle. I even had 13 to 1 ratio, yielding 5.5 inches out of .42 precip.

Thanks for this Eric! May I share the image of the GA map to my Facebook weather page? (I'm sure you wouldn't mind, but I would rather ask first.) I'm curious, what program you use to make these maps?

Yeah no problem. As for what I use to make them, I use python to hone in on the area I want and produce a state or multi-state map with the desired size, dpi, & formatting.
For ex this would be a map of just GA, SC, & NC.

North Carolina, South Carolina, & Georgia Snowfall Map Blank.png

Then I use photo editing software (usually pixlr photo editor) and plot/draw every observation on the map by hand. This is labor intensive but I personally think it gives me more control over the map, I can make it look a lot prettier and more unique than what I know wrt coding, GIS, and spatial interpolation, and I simply have a lot more experience using it so I'm more familiar with the color schemes, sizes of observational points, etc.

Seems like all winter these models continue to show fantasy looks for the same areas smhView attachment 33772

Do yourself a favor and stop looking at the FailV3. Look at the Euro. Not saying it's perfect, because it's not, but it hasn't been showing this crazy nonsense all winter. I mean, even if the Euro showed this, I wouldn't believe it until I saw snow falling from the sky.

^^GIS software is great for creating maps. The largest (paid) software provider is Esri. They have a desktop and cloud platforms. The cloud platform is called ArcGIS Online (AGOL). It's basically free, but if you want to perform more advanced analysis you'll need to pay/buy credits.
Here is our AGOL homepage: https://ncdot.maps.arcgis.com/home/index.html

There are also free (open source) GIS software. QGIS is probably the best. https://www.qgis.org/en/site/

Yeah no problem. As for what I use to make them, I use python to hone in on the area I want and produce a state or multi-state map with the desired size, dpi, & formatting.
For ex this would be a map of just GA, SC, & NC.

View attachment 33784

Then I use photo editing software (usually pixlr photo editor) and plot/draw every observation on the map by hand. This is labor intensive but I personally think it gives me more control over the map, I can make it look a lot prettier and more unique than what I know wrt coding, GIS, and spatial interpolation, and I simply have a lot more experience using it so I'm more familiar with the color schemes, sizes of observational points, etc.
Oh look a snow map for the rest of winter

Back