• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Fab-February 2020 The dark age

Reaction score
I love scrolling through the Canadian when colder air is forecasted off in the distance. It really likes to overdo it but man is it fun to look at #NerdConfessions 687F3301-9ECD-4979-8738-9E1F87ED9A58.jpeg

Nick_boynton_

-NAO/+PNA/-AO
Reaction score
To further show the Euro output was much different than what the GFS was, here:

GFS:
View attachment 34215

EURO:
View attachment 34216
I mean honestly they are generally the same other than the euro taking over with that secondary wave and a little more snow for others in the south in that same shaped stripe .. general area of snow is the same

Shawn

Staff member
Administrator
Tech
Reaction score
The 00z GEFS is an increase in moisture, a lot more, but warmer. Hence the snow maps. #rain

EDIT: Let me look closer, maybe that's not whats going on, irt surface temps.

Edit: The dupage maps are a bit anemic. The wxbell maps show more coverage on the mean. It's actually a notch cooler in areas at the surface vs 18z.

Last edited:

Shawn

Staff member
Administrator
Tech
Reaction score
I mean honestly they are generally the same other than the euro taking over with that secondary wave and a little more snow for others in the south in that same shaped stripe .. general area of snow is the same
The GFS has virtually no snow in AL, GA, MS, except favored zones. (like NE GA)

Forevertothee

Reaction score
True but the GFS moved toward a solution like the EURO and Canadian. I think areas S Of 85 in the Upstate and the Northern Midlands are in play now. All three globals have shown a wintry threat for Georgia South Carolina and North Carolina, now. This is a first under day 7 this winter, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shawn

Staff member
Administrator
Tech
Reaction score
True but the GFS moved toward a solution like the EURO and Canadian. I think areas S Of 85 in the Upstate and the Northern Midlands are in play now. All three globals have shown a wintry threat for Georgia South Carolina and North Carolina, now. This is a first under day 7 this winter, correct?

The 00z Euro will be coming soon, but overall, it's one of the better ensemble looks we have had on a reliable model for multiple runs in a while.

superjames1992

Rates Will Overcome All
Reaction score
I love scrolling through the Canadian when colder air is forecasted off in the distance. It really likes to overdo it but man is it fun to look at #NerdConfessionsView attachment 34214
Gotta love the -8 a hundred miles off in the Gulf. LMAO. RDU blows through their all time record low by over 10 degrees. Tallahassee sets the Florida all time record low by 7 degrees. modernweenie

Shawn

Staff member
Administrator
Tech
Reaction score
GEFS is a herd of sheep and is extremely underdispersive (wildly flips run-run) & isn't exactly reliable even inside the medium range, I'd rather have EPS than GEFS support.
Has the GEFS even been upgraded to the new setup yet?

GaWx

Supporter
Reaction score
Lets try this again after my error regarding the 12Z Euro thinking it was going to be drier. The 0Z looks that way to me again because H5 is closer to W, which is drier. So, I expect less precip.

1581661716340.png

Ollie Williams

It Gon’ Rain
Reaction score
After looking through each model run, the key to getting snow in the SE will be to have this wave coming down from Canada (in purple) be stronger. That will pull SW energy into East. This is a small detail, but other models are on the side of a weaker wave, so I’m going with that. Nonetheless this can change easily.
08CA15FF-1BCC-4789-8661-26E59F807F08.jpeg 58644F8B-70E9-45EA-8E0C-BE87C8E84F03.jpeg 815BA9FA-5BA5-440F-8F9A-E9A28ED46D52.jpeg

Webberweather53

Meteorologist
Reaction score
The differences between the most recent 0z and yesterday's 12z Euro run are pretty trivial in a general sense for being 7-8 days out, don't become too overwhelmed & concerned w/ details (i.e. snow output), the signal for a storm is generally still there. This EPS suite however is not impressive at all and that's much more meaningful.

Jon

Reaction score
After looking through each model run, the key to getting snow in the SE will be to have this wave coming down from Canada (in purple) be stronger. That will pull SW energy into East. This is a small detail, but other models are on the side of a weaker wave, so I’m going with that. Nonetheless this can change easily.
View attachment 34228View attachment 34229View attachment 34230
That helps, but it may more to do with the feature just north of cali stretching to Washington state. That energy has been on the modeling that leaves the ULL out west. The stronger that is and more west it is, the less likely the northern stream can take it with it. It may be a combination of the two, but the GFS model run a few days ago without the energy feature west was still snow here

Jon

Reaction score
It didn’t completely throw it away, but is much worse.

Ollie,

Do you have the last 3 runs of the EPS 500mb vorticity centered on 12z 2/21? I don’t have access to those maps. I would appreciate it!