• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Fab-February 2020 The dark age

it’s a good thing the gfs changed that H5 pattern... because at one point it looked prime for more bad severe weather, it’s now trending towards a winter storm look with a Canada vortex and a SW in Mexico, hopefully it doesn’t go back 706F07C5-4E01-4064-89EC-E4D7C5143E2A.gif

The 12Z GEFS is about to also come in colder it appears. I love the mostly silence because nobody believes this is for real. But is this going to be different?
In all my years of following models, this (12Z GFS) ranks near the top for 12 hour cold changes in the SE.
Larry,
The important thing is that the models shows this less than 10 days out; if we have some run to run consistency for another 48 to 72, even with some up and down fluctuations, it could be very interesting.
As always, Thanks for all of your input!
Best!
Phil

It’s just too far out. Too much time for it to trend to cold rain. I wanna see runs of no ice or snow. I wanna see major cold. With that said, pattern looks interesting to squeeze something out of this winter.

I’ll be honest the trends have definitely been looking up as of recent ... Gfs completely flipped on the massive trough out west .. now has a major ridge in the same spot .. will help our chances down the line

Crazy gfs already lost the ice for the 16th lol
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually a better look imo..for a snow setup with coastal low. And under 240hrs. Just need moisture thrown back west. Less of an ice setup. I see 1 or 2 potentials there for snow vs rain.

I think that the most important hint from the last 3 GFS runs is the loss of the strong SER starting midmonth. Prior runs weren't doing that. Is this for real? Well, from what I've learned, if we can get rid of the now returning -AAM, it would have a decent chance at least because that partially correlates to SER.
Also, this run is again very close to wintry in parts of the SE near midmonth+.

Winston-Salem West into the foothills below freezing with strong developing storm at the coast. Should be some interesting ensembles under 240hrs. Largely a snow setup for western NC and central not far off.

The major trend to colder on the models continues with the 18Z GEFS

00Z GEFS (by the way, even this 0Z GEFS and the run before it were already trending much colder to the prior runs meaning the big colder trend has been ongoing for 5 straight runs!)
1581030181500.png

Now the much colder 18Z GEFS:
1581030214609.png

1581030232853.png

Last edited:
Back