• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Fab-February 2020 The dark age

I’ve seen worse
b43f013ff9516558ea4496bc2984d318.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t blame anyone at all for being skeptical as the models, especially the GEFS have had an awful cold bias, but that doesn’t stop from hoping that today’s massive changes that start mighty early in the GFS/GEFS runs are at least a hint that there will be cold changes/weaker SER/evolution to return of +PNA. Plus, as @NCSNOW alluded to, I’ve talked in recent weeks about analogs along with what hopefully will be a better MJO and also a change back to +AAM that would support a 2-3 week long period of mainly BN in the SE at some interval within late Feb through mid March.

Very much fwiw, here’s the nice and so much better late GEFS 500 mb map showing the reemergence of a legit +PNA, which hasn’t been seen on a GEFS to this extent in quite awhile:

2E6365F2-4EB2-4E6E-9EB1-8C88522ED533.png

Last half of Fab Feb 2015 repeat incoming. I hope. Chips are in. Maybe the CFS can be right for once?

Last half of Fab Feb 2015 repeat incoming. I hope. Chips are in. Maybe the CFS can be right for once?

Wow, I just noticed that the 6Z CFS is one of the coldest runs yet as it is much colder than any recent run for many weeks on end! I'll try to post some from this later.

It's been forecasting cold all winter long.

I agree withj your sentiment. Hence, my reason for saying I can't believe I'm posting so much of it today. Much of the winter, it has indeed been strongly cold biased. However, two things to note:
-This is by a mile much colder than any run in weeks with al of the weeks cold in the SE week 2+
- The trend of models so far today has been much colder. So, maybe, just maybe, the CFS will finally find its nut to some extent anyway for the first time since it did well with the November cold.

It's been forecasting cold all winter long.

I fully agree. It has been terribly cold biased. However, this is the coldest run by far in many weeks and it is coming on day with colder model trends. Maybe for a change it is onto something?

Also, although not as cold as the GFS, the 12Z Euro is colder than the 0Z Euro in the SE.

I will say looking at the euro map....there is atleast 1 thing different....there is a high pressure delivering cold temps!!

Back