• This website or discussions about the COVID-19 virus outbreak should be taken as entertainment. For official information on how to plan and prepare, please go to The Offical CDC Homepage By Clicking Here
  • Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Elevation Micro-climatology (SE Mountain Weather)

J.C.

Reaction score
Anyone know what the latest is on the Hemlock trees? Are they still dying off rapidly due to the woody adelgid?

BirdManDoomW

Leader of the bird cult
Reaction score
Snowy start to April above 4,500ft. 18z GFS smokes Ashe County NC on April Fools Day. Cold rain elsewhere.

BirdManDoomW

Leader of the bird cult
Reaction score
WPC needs to show at least some chance if NWS Blacksburg is talking deform zone. Models are trending colder above 4,500ft.

BirdManDoomW

Leader of the bird cult
Reaction score
WPC folds last second. Introduces some low chances of 1” and 2” snow amounts for western NC. If it was winter then these short range models showing half a foot could have actually verified given the position of the coastal low later on. Oh well something is better than nothing.

BirdManDoomW

Leader of the bird cult
Reaction score
Lol Beech is getting smoked everything turning white despite NWS Blacksburg forecast. They missed the timing by over 12 hours.

EmersonGA

Reaction score
Anyone know what the latest is on the Hemlock trees? Are they still dying off rapidly due to the woody adelgid?
They’re still dying off wherever they aren’t treated. There are still pockets here and there.

WxGSO

Meteorologist
Reaction score
I saw snow sticking at Snowshoe, WV earlier....crazy, even for them.

FamouslyHot

Reaction score
I'm looking to do some snow chasing this weekend. Anyone have suggestions on where I could go? I'm trying to get above 5000' and drive the whole way, problem is a lot of roads are closed. My backup is Beech but I'm trying to be somewhere less developed.

BirdManDoomW

Leader of the bird cult
Reaction score
I'm looking to do some snow chasing this weekend. Anyone have suggestions on where I could go? I'm trying to get above 5000' and drive the whole way, problem is a lot of roads are closed. My backup is Beech but I'm trying to be somewhere less developed.
Ashe County NC is less developed with greater snow coverage below 5,000ft. Roads are open again and state parks reopen before the snow starts. Mount Jefferson State Park is nice and above 4,500ft.