• This website or discussions about the COVID-19 virus outbreak should be taken as entertainment. For official information on how to plan and prepare, please go to The Offical CDC Homepage By Clicking Here
  • Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Elevation Micro-climatology (SE Mountain Weather)

NCSNOW

Reaction score
Sticking g with my first call back on wednesday, few post back. Atleast 5 inches in Boone, 12+ on ridgetops. Itll still be lying around when some of us head up for the SBC Championship game Saturday #20 App v/s Ragin Cajuns.

BirdManDoomW

Leader of the bird cult
Reaction score
Advisory upgraded to a Warning for counties bordering Wilkes to the west. Roads are being treated. Some snow showers may escape east of the mtns in higher wind gusts.

BirdManDoomW

Leader of the bird cult
Reaction score
Drifts could exceed 2 feet in areas above 4,500ft that receive the most upslope due to high wind.

Fountainguy97

Reaction score
Wind already gusty here. Going to be a cold windy day tmrw. Looks like I’ll get shafted from most of the snow as the flow is too westerly. Mountain range will block my valley. I need a much larger northerly component.

Still will be a cold wintry day with passing flurries!

WxBlue

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Definitely one of stronger northwest flow snow events you can get for mountains of western North Carolina. Here's my forecast map for this event. Probably should've been more aggressive with 0-1" bin for valley areas... oh well...
NWFS_December_1_to_3_warning_southernwx.png

BirdManDoomW

Leader of the bird cult
Reaction score
Definitely one of stronger northwest flow snow events you can get for mountains of western North Carolina. Here's my forecast map for this event. Probably should've been more aggressive with 0-1" bin for valley areas... oh well...
View attachment 26756
Looks good just underdone for Ashe and esp. Alleghany. For Wilkes I think Northern Wilkes near Stone Mountain and southern Wilkes near Brushy MTN will score a dusting to 1”. More 6”+ amounts in Ashe and 1-2” in parts of Alleghany are likely.

BirdManDoomW

Leader of the bird cult
Reaction score
Interesting AFD...NWS Blacksburg mentions possible Blizzard Warning criteria being met tomorrow. Also mentions areas east and across the blue ridge (I assume Wilkes) could see brief high impact if any snow showers survive off the mountain.

Reaction score
View attachment 26756
Nice map, I know it took some time to make it. Yup, some places in western NC is going to get hammered with snow.

WxBlue

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Looks good just underdone for Ashe and esp. Alleghany. For Wilkes I think Northern Wilkes near Stone Mountain and southern Wilkes near Brushy MTN will score a dusting to 1”. More 6”+ amounts in Ashe and 1-2” in parts of Alleghany are likely.
Fair criticism. This map took some time to generate through ArcGIS, but I will admit that Ashe/Alleghany/Wilkes area is my major weakness point with snowfall forecasting in North Carolina. I've forgotten that Ashe County has few high elevation areas that could see good amount of snow.

WxBlue

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Nice map, I know it took some time to make it. Yup, some places in western NC is going to get hammered with snow.
Thanks! It did take some time (about a hour) entering forecast numbers into Excel spreadsheet, importing it into ArcGIS, and generating the snowfall graphic onto the map with few adjustments. Then I had to make it pretty with final touches.

BirdManDoomW

Leader of the bird cult
Reaction score
Minor icing event poss tonight with winter weather products being considered because of freezing fog all the way down to Wilkesboro. This occurred last night in Virginia and West Virginia with advisories too.

k0skinne

Reaction score
Off and on rain snow mix in Jasper, Ga area also. Heavier a little farther north in Ellijay. Nothing sticking. We are about 1385 ft or so here. Elevations vary in the area. Nothing sticking. Temps ranging lower 40s to upper 30s.

Cad Wedge NC

Reaction score
OK, how many of you out there are staring at the flood lights right now .... raise your hands. The first step is admitting you have a problem, lol

strongwxnc

Reaction score
OK, how many of you out there are staring at the flood lights right now .... raise your hands. The first step is admitting you have a problem, lol
Hell, I’m all about flood light snowing. Saw four flurries tonight because of it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BirdManDoomW

Leader of the bird cult
Reaction score
Talk about a beating. I’m not sure if some ski resorts will be open for the big MLK holiday weekend. 1” in upslope rain now 1-3” additional. And next week looks horrid.

BirdManDoomW

Leader of the bird cult
Reaction score
Sapphire Ski resort is closed until further notice. Flash flood warnings and warm air last night with lots of lightning. 70s today in lower elevations.

Fountainguy97

Reaction score
Sapphire Ski resort is closed until further notice. Flash flood warnings and warm air last night with lots of lightning. 70s today in lower elevations.
The big names to the north are struggling too.
I won’t be surprised to see sugar completely close for a few days.

Sugar mountain is on the brink...
26DABACC-D3C6-42A0-8080-E3115B1B0929.jpeg

beech mountain is not healthy either. This slope usually is built up and counted by the feet..

EDA7D616-F284-4F3A-AAFB-E26CE6ADAF2C.jpeg

Reaction score
Gsp thinks a little ice is possible mtns/foothills if the column moistened up between 12-16z. Nothing major maybe some slicks spots bridges elevated surfaces.

Reaction score
Nice chilly day here at shortoff mtn (eascarpment) 47° ill gladly take it too good day to take my new coon dog Bailey for a stroll.