• Hello guests. Please take a minute to sign up and join in the conversation. It's free, quick, and easy!

Elevation Micro-climatology (SE Mountain Weather)

Sticking g with my first call back on wednesday, few post back. Atleast 5 inches in Boone, 12+ on ridgetops. Itll still be lying around when some of us head up for the SBC Championship game Saturday #20 App v/s Ragin Cajuns.

BirdManDoomW

Strange Bird
Advisory upgraded to a Warning for counties bordering Wilkes to the west. Roads are being treated. Some snow showers may escape east of the mtns in higher wind gusts.

BirdManDoomW

Strange Bird
Drifts could exceed 2 feet in areas above 4,500ft that receive the most upslope due to high wind.

Wind already gusty here. Going to be a cold windy day tmrw. Looks like I’ll get shafted from most of the snow as the flow is too westerly. Mountain range will block my valley. I need a much larger northerly component.

Still will be a cold wintry day with passing flurries!

WxBlue

Meteorologist
Definitely one of stronger northwest flow snow events you can get for mountains of western North Carolina. Here's my forecast map for this event. Probably should've been more aggressive with 0-1" bin for valley areas... oh well...
NWFS_December_1_to_3_warning_southernwx.png

BirdManDoomW

Strange Bird
Definitely one of stronger northwest flow snow events you can get for mountains of western North Carolina. Here's my forecast map for this event. Probably should've been more aggressive with 0-1" bin for valley areas... oh well...
View attachment 26756
Looks good just underdone for Ashe and esp. Alleghany. For Wilkes I think Northern Wilkes near Stone Mountain and southern Wilkes near Brushy MTN will score a dusting to 1”. More 6”+ amounts in Ashe and 1-2” in parts of Alleghany are likely.

BirdManDoomW

Strange Bird
Interesting AFD...NWS Blacksburg mentions possible Blizzard Warning criteria being met tomorrow. Also mentions areas east and across the blue ridge (I assume Wilkes) could see brief high impact if any snow showers survive off the mountain.

View attachment 26756
Nice map, I know it took some time to make it. Yup, some places in western NC is going to get hammered with snow.

WxBlue

Meteorologist
Looks good just underdone for Ashe and esp. Alleghany. For Wilkes I think Northern Wilkes near Stone Mountain and southern Wilkes near Brushy MTN will score a dusting to 1”. More 6”+ amounts in Ashe and 1-2” in parts of Alleghany are likely.
Fair criticism. This map took some time to generate through ArcGIS, but I will admit that Ashe/Alleghany/Wilkes area is my major weakness point with snowfall forecasting in North Carolina. I've forgotten that Ashe County has few high elevation areas that could see good amount of snow.

WxBlue

Meteorologist
Nice map, I know it took some time to make it. Yup, some places in western NC is going to get hammered with snow.
Thanks! It did take some time (about a hour) entering forecast numbers into Excel spreadsheet, importing it into ArcGIS, and generating the snowfall graphic onto the map with few adjustments. Then I had to make it pretty with final touches.