• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dry July 2024

There’s a deluge here from a thunderstorm: edit: had some wind with this earlier but now the CTG is very close with numerous strokes, worst I’ve seen in a long time! Lost my Comcast connection. Power went out for a few seconds. The lightning is really bad.

6:53 edit: still an absolute deluge. Street in front flooded.

CHATHAM GA-JASPER SC-
638 PM EDT FRI JUL 26 2024

..FLOOD ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 930 PM EDT THIS EVENING

* WHAT...FLOODING CAUSED BY EXCESSIVE RAINFALL IS EXPECTED.

* WHERE...PORTIONS OF SOUTHEAST GEORGIA, INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING
COUNTY, CHATHAM AND SOUTHEAST SOUTH CAROLINA, INCLUDING THE
FOLLOWING COUNTY, JASPER.

* WHEN...UNTIL 930 PM EDT.

* IMPACTS...MINOR FLOODING IN LOW-LYING AND POOR DRAINAGE AREAS.
WATER OVER ROADWAYS. OVERFLOWING POOR DRAINAGE AREAS. PONDING OF
WATER IN URBAN OR OTHER AREAS IS OCCURRING OR IS IMMINENT.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...
- AT 636 PM EDT, DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED THUNDERSTORMS WITH
TORRENTIAL RAINFALL EXTENDING FROM DOWNTOWN SAVANNAH INTO
COASTAL PORTIONS OF JASPER COUNTY, SOUTH CAROLINA. THESE
STORMS ARE SLOW MOVING AND WILL BE CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A
QUICK 1 TO 3 INCHES OF RAIN. THIS WILL RESULT IN MINOR
FLOODING OF LOW-LYING AND POOR DRAINAGE AREAS.

Last edited:
Not in my immediate area but now there’s this (by the way I got 2”+ of rain within 30 minutes)! Now ~10.5” for month!
Edit: 800+ lightning strokes within just 15 minutes detected!

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHARLESTON HAS ISSUED A
* TORNADO WARNING FOR PORTIONS OF...
BRYAN COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN GEORGIA...
CHATHAM COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN GEORGIA...

* UNTIL 730 PM EDT.

* AT 658 PM EDT, A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A
TORNADO WAS LOCATED OVER WINDSOR FOREST, MOVING SOUTH AT 10 MPH.

HAZARD...TORNADO.

SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED ROTATION.

IMPACT...FLYING DEBRIS WILL BE DANGEROUS TO THOSE CAUGHT
WITHOUT SHELTER. MOBILE HOMES WILL BE DAMAGED OR
DESTROYED. DAMAGE TO ROOFS, WINDOWS AND VEHICLES WILL
OCCUR. TREE DAMAGE IS LIKELY.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...
COFFEE BLUFF, WINDSOR FOREST, HUNTER ARMY AIRFIELD, MIDTOWN
SAVANNAH, DOWNTOWN SAVANNAH, MONTGOMERY, VERNONBURG, WHITE BLUFF
AND FORT MCALLISTER

——————-
709 PM EDT FRI JUL 26 2024

...TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 730 PM EDT FOR BRYAN AND
CHATHAM COUNTIES...

AT 709 PM EDT, A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO
WAS LOCATED OVER WINDSOR FOREST, MOVING SOUTH AT 10 MPH. THIS STORM
HAS A HISTORY OF PRODUCING A WELL DEFINED FUNNEL CLOUD AND COULD
PRODUCE A TORNADO AT ANY TIME.

Edit ———————
0630 PM FUNNEL CLOUD 2 NNW SAVANNAH 32.08N 81.10W
07/26/2024 CHATHAM GA PUBLIC

AN INDIVIDUAL ON REPORTED A VIDEO ON SOCIAL MEDIA OF A
FUNNEL CLOUD FROM ELECTRIC MOON SKYDECK AT THE JW
MARRIOTT HOTEL. TIME ESTIMATED VIA RADAR.

Last edited:
Just hit a trace for the day, that's 10 in a row and 16 of 26 for the month. Pretty impressive imo to do this in July
Day 10 here as well, picked up .21 with light/moderate rain bringing me to 12.75. I really want just another .25. Heaviest has missed me all afternoon or I'd have easily hit that 13" mark, what a month

Day 10 here as well, picked up .21 with light/moderate rain bringing me to 12.75. I really want just another .25. Heaviest has missed me all afternoon or I'd have easily hit that 13" mark, what a month
For a lot of people. When was the last time we saw 10+ totals over a widespread area of GA, SC, NC?

Rain finally lightened up considerably ~25 minutes ago. Here’s a pic from ~35 minutes ago showing flooded street just before the heaviest rain started to subside. Not just the street but also sidewalks flooded on both sides as water went well over the curbs. I’m guessing that was ~3” rain within one hour. Keep in mind I had 5” during the 7 days before this giving me ~11.25” for July to date! I’ve had lots of storms this month but this complex of storms appears to have taken the cake. Besides the rain (along with decent winds near the start), the CTG lightning frequency was among the worst I can recall at least in several years. Many vehicles got stuck in flooding.

IMG_0020.jpeg

Last edited:
I remember after hurricane Joaquin I believe that an atmospheric rive crushed SC but was more localized to that state.
That was localized to an area from Charleston to Columbia over to near Mrytle Beach and back to Charleston with some of the worst flooding SC has ever seen. Up to 20 inches of rain in those areas while areas near the border with GA south of Augusta barely got a drop. We got around 3-4 inches of rain here over a 4-day period with that.

That was localized to an area from Charleston to Columbia over to near Mrytle Beach and back to Charleston with some of the worst flooding SC has ever seen. Up to 20 inches of rain in those areas while areas near the border with GA south of Augusta barely got a drop. We got around 3-4 inches of rain here over a 4-day period with that.
Sumter County was trashed by that. I had over 20 inches in two days. Schools were out for at least a week I believe. What a terrible time.

For a lot of people. When was the last time we saw 10+ totals over a widespread area of GA, SC, NC?
2016 comes to mind for me. Was living in Spring Lake/Cameron area and a week or two before Matthew we had a rain storm that I haven’t seen before or since. Dropped 9+ inches and then Matthew hit dropping a lot more. Biggest weather event that I had seen since Fran in 96. I was stationed overseas during the Dennis and Floyd fiasco.

June 2019 may be the last time that portions of NC, SC and GA received more than ten inches of rain in one month. GA is not mentioned in this specific article but NWS precipitation maps show that portions of Northern Georgia received more than ten inches of rain.

Back