• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dry July 2024

Well after Thursday the pattern changes and it looks like I am going to be left with only 4.68 at best for the entire event unless we get a miracle. Our only chance here is with a ring of fire MCS or tropical system and anything like that is 10+ days away so the drought goes on. One thing the models will be right about is having the big heat come back in the long range.
what drought big dawg it’s the big flood

What a time for the A.C. (only ~11.5 years old) to suddenly stop working! Dewpoints here are in the high 70s.

It had never given me any problems whatsoever up through earlier today. The inside unit’s blower is moving air but the air coming out through the vents isn’t cool. The outdoor unit is also running.

There’s no icing evident. The filter had been replaced just 3 weeks ago and is hardly dirty. It’s a Trane.

80.8/79.5, watching a light show to my west. Line seems to be getting its act together as it’s working in to an area of enhanced cape nosing down from the Albemarle Sound. I ran some numbers this morning and 40% of my year to date rainfall has occurred this month, and in the absence of a tropical system which is nuts.

If it weren’t for yesterday my backyard would be heading in to the tail end of this wet pattern with only about 4”, while many areas in the county and surroundings were double that+.

Now as Downeast pointed out, we are heading in to what should be an active Hurricane season with some rivers approaching minor flood stage early next week.

What a time for the A.C. (only ~11.5 years old) to suddenly stop working! Dewpoints here are in the high 70s.

It had never given me any problems whatsoever up through earlier today. The inside unit’s blower is moving air but the air coming out through the vents isn’t cool. The outdoor unit is also running.

There’s no icing evident. The filter had been replaced just 3 weeks ago and is hardly dirty. It’s a Trane.
On the surface that sounds like it might be a thermostat or you may need freon. I had the same problem with my dinosaur of a unit a couple of years ago. My problems started after a lighting strike close to the house knocked out the power. The thermostat to my air conditioner got fried and I had to replace it. I'm not a HVAC repairman so this is just a guess.

Last edited:
On the surface that sounds like it might be a thermostat or you may need freon. I had the same problem with my dinosaur of a unit a couple of years ago. My problems started after a lighting strike close to the house knocked out the power. The thermostat to my air conditioner got fried and I had to replace it.

Thanks. The thermostat appears to be ok. It turns the AC on correctly with it set well below the actual inside temp, which is in the lower 80s. I can hear the normal clicking sound when the blower turns on.
Can the refrigerant suddenly be too low if there’s a leak? Or does it normally gradually stop cooling if it is due to refrigerant?

Thanks. The thermostat appears to be ok. It turns the AC on correctly with it set well below the actual inside temp, which is in the lower 80s. I can hear the normal clicking sound when the blower turns on.
Can the refrigerant suddenly be too low if there’s a leak? Or does it normally gradually stop cooling if it is due to refrigerant?
It can work until it doesn't. I've got a slow leak in one of my units that will work for a few years and then just stop getting cold.

Could be contactor. Is the pump outside running at all?

Drain line could be clogged, triggering the the unit to stop cooling. In that case, it would move air, but it would not be cool. Also could be a capacitor. Same result.

It can work until it doesn't. I've got a slow leak in one of my units that will work for a few years and then just stop getting cold.

If there’s a sudden leak, is that a potential hazard of some kind?

Probably has a leak

If there’s a sudden leak, is that a potential hazard of some kind?
No hazard you can take some soap and water to the copper lines and try to find it.. the techs will charge atleast 100 for the call and however much a recharge is.. and by the hr to do the same soap and water test.. you can get a wand that sniffs for the leak.

Keep in mind you may not have enough pressure atm to find a leak.. mine was in the a frame inside the air handler .. we decide to replace with a carrier 10yr warranty.. final cost was $5800... but very happy it blows the air crazy now and lowered the power consumption by 5 kw a day. Our old unit was a 2007 Lenox

Drain line could be clogged, triggering the the unit to stop cooling. In that case, it would move air, but it would not be cool. Also could be a capacitor. Same result.

The drain line is not backing up to the inside. I’ve had that happen before leading to flooding around the inside unit. But it is dry. As a result of problems in the past, an automatic shut-off valve was installed that turns off the system if it detects water backing up.

Back