• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe DEEP SOUTH Severe Weather threat 18-20th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best storm I’ve had in a while! Nothing severe just strong. Nothing will ever compare to the 2 thunderstorms experienced on March 14 2008 though. They were at like 2 and 4 am and the only times I’ve genually been afraid during storms. Wind was 60+, thunder had house shaking, and hail sounded like it was busting through the house. And it happened twice in 2 hours. Always have loved weather but that night it was INSANE

Best storm I’ve had in a while! Nothing severe just strong. Nothing will ever compare to the 2 thunderstorms experienced on March 14 2008 though. They were at like 2 and 4 am and the only times I’ve genually been afraid during storms. Wind was 60+, thunder had house shaking, and hail sounded like it was busting through the house. And it happened twice in 2 hours. Always have loved weather but that night it was INSANE
March 31, 1973 in Athens GA was the scariest storm I remember. The F4 passed over our house before touching down again & leveling a school.

2008 will never be topped for me in terms of severe weather. House was destroyed in Feb 08, then the Mar 08 storms, then the Mothers Day storms. At one point that spring we were under a Tornado Warning and had snow flurries the same day.

How are we looking on all of that covection to the west? It’s not going warned but is there a chance of severe with any of it?

This darn thing just won’t stop here! It was going south/south east all the way but got here and stalled, now just going east and staying right on top of us!

That cell in waynesboro GA is dangerous and nws even mentioned it's very close to a tor warning criteria. big hail, 70-80mph winds.

Very frustrating night for me, the loud severe thunderstorms woke me up, and I tried to just hold still and go back to sleep but couldn't so I checked the time...2:45 AM, then checked the radar a short time later to see when I'd get relief, and saw that we were under a long duration late night severe thunderstorm warning.

At least it wasn't a tornado warning as if so I would have probably needed to force myself up and had to make my parents mad.

Very frustrating night for me, the loud severe thunderstorms woke me up, and I tried to just hold still and go back to sleep but couldn't so I checked the time...2:45 AM, then checked the radar a short time later to see when I'd get relief, and saw that we were under a long duration late night severe thunderstorm warning.

At least it wasn't a tornado warning as if so I would have probably needed to force myself up and had to make my parents mad.

Me too. I woke everyone up just after midnight, looked like it was going to come by fairly quickly and with some authority. Once we were in the shelter it stalled and sat just north of us for about 30 minutes, it then shifted south enough to be on top of us, at this point it just moved east. We had cell after cell just keep passing over. The second one came through as a warned storm, after about an hour and a half in the shelter we decided to come back in the house and we dealt with storms for another hour and a half, none went warned, thankfully. All in all not a bad night just didn’t get the opportunity for much sleep.

So who won this model war?

I would go with the WRFs in first. They were a little too hot which they normally are, but was pretty good with area effected.

The 3km NAM was probably a close second.

All four of the CAMs were correct and limiting the threat to northern portions of AL/GA/TN.

The NAM nailed the environment and nailed the dry air slug that killed the threat for BHM southward. The 3km NAM probably did as well, but I don't like it so I don't look at it as much. The failure of the NAM was more aggressive on the southern extent of the storms.

In very short term, the HRRR and HRRRx did pretty good. Pretty much nailing the effect of the dry slug and was pretty close on the southern extent of the big storms.

Damage out of Jacksonville looks pretty severe. Had to have been at least a high end EF3 or higher

I'd say low end EF2 based on that to the Appts and EF1 to the rest of the video. May be greater damage somewhere else so I'm just judging what I see on this video.

This is why I was leaning EF3 but you are probably right. EF2 still a healthy ‘nader

An incredible amount of hype by NWS and SPC for this neck of the woods today; glad to say we had a nice couple of rain showers ... :cool:
No damage, no hail, no spinners, just a nice pollen cleaner ... :D

Me too. I woke everyone up just after midnight, looked like it was going to come by fairly quickly and with some authority. Once we were in the shelter it stalled and sat just north of us for about 30 minutes, it then shifted south enough to be on top of us, at this point it just moved east. We had cell after cell just keep passing over. The second one came through as a warned storm, after about an hour and a half in the shelter we decided to come back in the house and we dealt with storms for another hour and a half, none went warned, thankfully. All in all not a bad night just didn’t get the opportunity for much sleep.

I can't really do anything in the event there's actually a tornado warning outside of go in the hall and hope it's not major come to think of it but thankfully it wasn't that because if so I would've woken up my parents and done so and I'm not sure what their response would've been (we have no shelter and their bed is even closer to windows than me).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back