• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December, Make analogs relevant again

Analogs for similar 12/1-15 AO's going back to 1950 with similar ENSO (centered on weak La Nina) suggest that 12/16-31's AO will likely be at least down to -1.5 and quite possibly down to -2.0 or lower as the 3 best ENSO/AO analogs of 1995 (-2.8), 2000 (-3.7), and 2005 (-2.3) suggest. The #1 analog when considering QBO, ENSO, and -AO of late Nov and early Dec. is 2000 and it had AO of -3.7 during 12/16-31, 3rd most negative AO to the -4.9 of 2009 and the -3.9 of 2010. That would favor a continuation of solid cold dominating the E US through the end of the month.

These 3 best AO/ENSO analogs favor a solidly cold month in the SE US. KATL and KRDU, for example, averaged 5 below normal for the average of the 3 months while KSAV averaged 4 below. Considering the mild start, that would make for quite the cold last 3 weeks or so.
Moreover, a month potentially as cold (8 colder than normal) and snowy (ATL, GSP, and Chattanooga 3"; Asheville 6") as Dec of 2000 is on the table as that is my number one analog.

Last edited:
12z EPS. I think just about everyone here would need a new pair of pants if member 12 magically verified...
View attachment 1749
View attachment 1750
I counted 31 that give me at least some snow. That's 60%. Not too shabby at this point. Most of the misses showed snow to my east. If the NW trend is real, then the foothills and mountains would certainly have a pretty good shot at some type of winter event.

Lol, a 200 kt jet streak off the east coast in fantasy land on the EPS control... Been seeing it spit out these monstrous jet streaks periodically for the past few days and it makes some sense given there's a really steep height gradient between the huge vortex over SE Canada and the WAR off the SE US coast plus confluent flow between the northern stream and subtropical jet. Of course the exact intensity is really questionable
eps_uv200_c_conus_51.png

Massive cold coming into the N Plains 252+. Let's see how far SE it gets.

^Some of those look delish for the Tennessee Valley... meanwhile, this is about par for the course for clippers in the Chattanooga area... The Cumberland Plateau loves to rob us of scant moisture associated with clipper systems:
sn10_acc.us_ov.png

Euro trying to develop something in the Western Pacific. Luckily the waveguide (i.e. the jet stream) is so strong and bgd conditions are less favorable s.t. it's hard to get a big typhoon that recurves into the Pacific jet and sends a huge rossby wave train downstream across the Pacific - North American sector, but it does happen from time to time. See Archambult's thesis on "The Downstream Extratropical Flow Response to Recurving North Pacific Tropical Cyclones" for more detailed, technical information regarding the climatology, behavior, evolution, and sensible impacts on our weather from these storms...
http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/heathera/dissertation/archambault_dissertation.pdf

ecmwf_mslpa_wpac_26.png

Euro in general is looking interesting by day 8-9... Huge snow cover in the eastern US with renewed shots of powder from clippers riding on the southern periphery of this SE Canada gyre and here comes a disturbance out of the southern stream in the southwestern US
ecmwf_z500_vort_noram_35.png

Interesting stuff, Webb. Meanwhile, big cold coming into the SE US 12/12-13 on the 0Z Euro!

Teen lows 12/13 most of NC into far NW SC, far N GA, far NE AL, E half of TN!

And if that isn't enough, still another W. Canadian Arctic high is poised to come down into the US shortly after the end of this run. What a pattern!

So if a Pac typhoon recurves and sends a Rossby wave downstream, would that break up the Eastern Pacific pattern?

I've seen this pattern play out so many times in analyzing historic winter storms for NC using ECMWF's 20th Century Reanalysis (ERA-20C) esp for cold air damming and/or overrunning events...
ecmwf_z500_vort_conus_39.png

Really awesome airmass comes out in front of it as well. This airmass and SE Canada vortex begin to retreat after this on the latest EPS/GEFS suites so that definitely opens the door for this shortwave over northern Mexico and south Texas to come out and start inducing moist, southwesterly flow aloft over top of this residual low level arctic airmass. Overall, sticking with what I said last week, I still like the December 13-21 period for us to score a storm for a majority on the board...
ecmwf_t850a_conus_38.png

very odd little discussed storm, late Nov 1952... not much info out there. A lot of people know about the Nov. 1950 storm, but this one happened 2 years later. Chattanooga got completely robbed in this one, with only a Trace recorded while Knoxville scored 18 inches. Those are some borderline/boundary layer temps that hurt your very soul...Very bizarre: http://tennesseewx.com/index.php?topic=3071.0
and: ftp://ftp.library.noaa.gov/docs.lib/htdocs/rescue/mwr/080/mwr-080-11-0227.pdf

Last edited:
6z GFS looks meh. It's just one run, but verbatim, looks like cold shots, warm up, frontal passage, cool down, repeat

Back