• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry December 28-29th Possible Winter Storm

Kind of surprised Charleston is under a Winter Weather Advisory considering their forecast low is 33 and high tomorrow is 46 ! Also, they are only forecast to get a trace to a few hundredths of an inch.

A couple quotes from CHS's discussion:

1. Temperatures: Surface observations indicate temperatures for
portions of GA are running about 1-2 degrees above the hourly
forecasts (especially for the Savannah metro area and coastal
locations further south)...while temperatures for portions of
SC (especially across the Charleston Tri-County area) are
running about 1-2 degrees below the hourly forecasts. We
adjusted the forecast to try to incorporate these trends over
the upcoming hours. It will be monitored closely over the next
few hours because 1-2 degree trends during the day could carry
over into night and that could lead to differences in rain or
freezing rain.
2. POPs: Some of the models have been more aggressive in
starting precipitation across portions of GA. Radar seems to
show otherwise. We backed off POPs for the next few hours. But
if the trend continues, we may need to back off more.

A couple quotes from CHS's discussion:

Based on history with many hours of NE to NNE winds associated with a decent strength wedge, SAV will usually get to within 1-2 degrees of CHS once equilibrium is reached if both have steady and similar amounts of precip. Sometimes they'll even be the same. But it remains to be seen whether the NAM will ultimately be too cold. Progged wedge temperatures are more often underdone than overdone on most models.

The NAM has actually increased the qpf here to ~0.30". So, watching that trend. However, even if that much were to fall and even if there were to be some ZR eventually, it would initially be rain for a time. So, not nearly all ZR no matter what most likely.

Looking at the radar, that isn't pure virga that recently reached SAV. There has been a fall of a few very tiny drops in MBY. My temp is 41.9.

Last edited:
Dewpoint dropped from 24 to 20 at CHS in just last hour. Upstream, MYR has had low teen dewpoints. SAV still pretty stable. 42.8 here with dewpoint still up at near 26. No more than few drops here so far and CHS dry. Interestingly, well south, Brunswick in the steadier rain is already down to 39 thanks to wetbulbing.

Last edited:
Thank goodness temperatures are not dropping ahead of the rain as returns are blossoming just to my west and is about to reach me earlier than expected. For my area, I'm going to watch how fast it cools down from the current 42.8 along with precip trends. Current wetbulbs are near 37. However, much drier air lurks just to the N and NE. CHS's dewpoint is 20 and Walterboro is 21. Summerville's has dropped from 27 to 19 in just 3 hours. They are about 90 miles NNE of here.

Thank goodness temperatures are not dropping ahead of the rain as returns are blossoming just to my west and is about to reach me earlier than expected. For my area, I'm going to watch how fast it cools down from the current 42.8 along with precip trends. Current wetbulbs are near 37. However, much drier air lurks just to the N and NE. CHS's dewpoint is 20 and Walterboro is 21. Summerville's has dropped from 27 to 19 in just 3 hours. They are about 90 miles NNE of here.

The wedge should entrench fully in the next few hours. This should be interesting. It looks like it's gonna push further South of you, even.

Looking at the current wedging, I am quite glad the precipitation didn't make it up this way. It's the real deal. Would have been horrible to have a bigger system.

That's impressive and with those NE winds those DP's may very well make it to you, this going to be a close call for a light wintry event for you.... keep the updates coming.

Already wetbulbed here from 42.8 to 39.9 in just over 30 minutes.

Edit: wetbulbed down another 2 to 37.8 about 50 minutes later (10:55 PM). So a drop of 5 in just under 1.5 hours.

Last edited:
Here at 12:30 AM, it has now dropped all the way to 34.7 with steady rain. So, another 3 F drop the last 90 minutes. This isn't all from wetbulbing as that limit was 37. Cold/dry advection from SC has been contributing. The question now is whether or not this steady rain will continue mucn of the night. If so and with the dewpoints at 16 at KCHS and 18 at Summerville, it will likely get close to if not below 32. The radar suggests it won't last too much longer but the rain keeps redeveloping.

Last edited:
Here at 12:30 AM, it has now dropped all the way to 34.7 with steady rain. So, another 3 F drop the last 90 minutes. This isn't all from wetbulbing as that limit was 37. Cold/dry advection from SC has been contributing. The question now is whether or not this steady rain will continue mucn of the night. If so and with the dewpoints at 16 at KCHS and 18 at Summerville, it will likely get close to if not below 32. The radar suggest it won't last too much longer but the rain keeps redeveloping.

Wow!! Agonizingly close for you guys!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KCHS REPORTING LIGHT RAIN/SNOW MIX 1AM

With an 850 of +4 C, CHS is getting snow mixed with the rain? That is odd. I wonder if it is really sleet.

Meanwhile, here it remains at 34.7 with the steady rain over for at least for now. Maybe out of the woods?

Truck was covered in ice, but still made the 15 mile drive to work. Roads are wet, but traffic moving like usual. One bridge is closed so far. Will see how the rest of the morning goes.

So, how did you do Larry? I fell asleep with rain being reported in SAV, still. There was more moisture otw though.

Back