• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry December 28-29th Possible Winter Storm

Yeah, I was waiting! Anyways guys, we have the Canadian, GEFS, and Euro on board. The Canadian and Euro are running colder, each go. UKMET maybe even colder, but less precip (we know that will change!)

Should you include Dec 29th also or will this be exclusively a Dec 27-28 storm ?

As usual, we will adjust it based on timing as we get closer. Anywhere between the 27th and 29th looks probably.

Live thread has been disabled on the main December thread, and enabled here for now; Until traffic wrecks our server, we'll likely have to disable it at some point.

Looks like to me the Euro tries for a phase as it exits right, if someone with better maps could confirm. I believe this would at last give central and eastern more snow?

Pulling for sleet at this point in ATL. That looks like the best we can hope for here. Really don’t want to contemplate 1.25” of ZR in this city.
For your area, hope the wedge is stronger and the 925 mb level is way colder. I think up here we may border sleet/ZR, or maybe all sleet, but any weaker and we will all be in for a big ice.

The nut jobs at TWC put rain/snow for this storm here. LOL

On their nationwide map or their automated local forecast? The local forecast uses raw model data, from the GFS, I think,.

12z eps through Saturday
e7c93e8a6af64b2a94485a87d2525703.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.LONG TERM /Monday through Saturday/...
Models in close agreement early in the long term but a big
difference toward the end of the week. Moisture begins moving back
into the CWA Tuesday night and Wednesday as a strong 1041ish high
builds over the eastern US. This high digs into the lee side of the
Appalachians and down into GA as a wedge late Thursday and
Thursday night. This is where the models have big differences. The
GFS keeps overrunning to a minimum Thursday night, in fact very
little moisture while the ECMWF spreads abundant moisture into the
CWA along with a warm nose of air overriding the wedge. With such
differences will maintain a consistent forecast in keeping a mix
of rain/snow to north GA with slightly higher pops on Thursday
night. This will definitely need to be watched.

Good luck to those in NC/SC....We had our snow in AL....now for your ice. I'll take that for a trade off.

Back