• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry December 28-29th Possible Winter Storm

Yeah, ICON letting go. Dropped almost a quarter inch of precip for CAE on the 18z run. Nothing in the Upstate. This event, unless a substantial change at 00z, is over.

Edit: Outside the coast/Southern GA/SC.

We're sitting precariously on the NW edge here in Columbia & Fayetteville NC, so I wouldn't rule out a low-moderate impact event here even if things don't change much in the guidance, it would only take a modest 50-100 mile NW shift from other NWP besides the ICON (like the EPS) to jack up the QPF to respectable levels here. Starting to not feel so great NW of the midlands towards the upstate however. It's still pretty far from over for you & me imo.

February is our best month climo wise for Winter Wx around here (Midlands of SC). Anything before that is typically a bonus.

We're sitting precariously on the NW edge here in Columbia & Fayetteville NC, so I wouldn't rule out a low-moderate impact event here even if things don't change much in the guidance, it would only take a modest 50-100 mile NW shift from other NWP besides the ICON (like the EPS) to jack up the QPF to respectable levels here. Starting to not feel so great NW of the midlands towards the upstate however. It's still pretty far from over for you & me imo.
What about the CLT area?

In a typical winter maybe. But most winters dont have this much cold early in the winter. So im afraid this is not going to be your typical winter.
Well, I'll hold out hope nonetheless. Thus is way for us in these parts. We sometimes get the best Winter Wx, when they are more of a surprise, least predicted. Though, it's not looking good at all right now based on model trends.

It is a Nina but I wonder...

2/12/10 - major snow
2/12/14 - major ice
2/12/18 - ????

Maybe coincidence that both of the real majors in this area and eastward winter wise occurred on 2/12 and were four years apart, more likely it is, but just something to chew on.

It is a Nina but I wonder...

2/12/10 - major snow
2/12/14 - major ice
2/12/18 - ????

Maybe coincidence that both of the real majors in this area and eastward winter wise occurred on 2/12 and were four years apart, more likely it is, but just something to chew on.
Dont forget Feb 06... There was a major snowstorm in the east. I believe it was also around Feb 12.

Well I will say it again, I will waive the white flag after the 00z runs
Lol, everyone knows there is nothing beyond I 20 to the south...unless it's dragons :) I'm still in the hunt for sleet tonight and tomorrow, and again Thur/Fri, but stuff down here don't matter, lol, even if it's cold and moisture is running by underneath. It ain't over until the virga has quit dancing, lol.

Well I will say it again, I will waive the white flag after the 00z runs
I am just going ahead and saying it now: I quit on this one. NEXT! As soon as the CMC decided to drop it and never regain it, and then the Euro follow suit, I decided it was headed for death. Oh well, there is always 3 more shots, then winter will throw a barrel of oil in the dumpster and light it.

Back