• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry December 28-29th Possible Winter Storm

GFS showed similar improvements at H5 as the NAM. CMC looked anemic at H5 and very dry. 12z German ICON remains consistent.

us_model-en-087-0_moddeu_2017122612_72_5750_215.png

us_model-en-087-0_moddeu_2017122612_102_5750_220.png

Verbatim that's a major ice storm for areas like Fayetteville, & Columbia, SC

Combined precipitation for the 27th & 28-29th events from the CMC... Lol I swear this happens every time, and now it's likely occurring with our first wave inside 24-36 hours.
Unknown.gif

If these models come even close to verifying, Eric will reach legendary status in the weather world for bringing them up first. Lol

Not to diminish Webber's contributions, but many meteorologists I know, including myself, have been looking at the German model at least since January of this past year. It was the most amplified with that storm (with higher QPF and more mid-level WAA) and ended up verifying.
My bad!! You all will be legends!! Lol

Not to diminish Webber's contributions, but many meteorologists I know, including myself, have been looking at the German model at least since January of this past year. It was the most amplified with that storm (with higher QPF and more mid-level WAA) and ended up verifying.
Sorry about that bud, I hope it verifies cause i'll be the first one to come on here and say you guys said it first.

Agreed, you were also all over this from the get go. We also know that NWP can't resolve broad, gentle lift & WAA over top a shallow low-level cold air dome, and corrections of 100-150 miles northwestward (even if the synoptic pattern doesn't really change a lot) are commonplace w/ overrunning even inside 36 hours...

Agreed, you were also all over this from the get go. We also know that NWP can't resolve broad, gentle lift & WAA over top a shallow low-level cold air dome, and corrections of 100-150 miles northwestward (even if the synoptic pattern doesn't really change a lot) are commonplace w/ overrunning even inside 36 hours...
Hopefully CAE gets into some action. I'll take anything afforded.

If the infamous NW trend is commonplace why don't models factor it in?

IF this (near 0.50" ZR) were to be close to verifying, I want to check one other event to make sure but I do believe this would be the worst widespread ZR for upper coastal counties of GA to far S SC since Jan of 1922. It almost certainly would be worst for right in the city of SAV since then and by what I think would be some margin. So, a truly historic (96 years) hit is a real possibility there. It is crucial that ZR amounts don't rise above here because that's when the damage and outages would rapidly increase. The JMA and ICON qpf's would cause massive damage. Hopefully they're both overdoing their 1.25" (which would be near the severe hit of 1922) as often is the case with the JMA. As it is at this near 1/2" level, it would already cause quite a number of problems for sure, including many outages and slippery driving/walking in certain areas, especially if it gets down to 30. We've got numerous very large oaks in and near the city that would be a big concern with just the 0.50" of ZR.

The comparison to the surface wx maps of the massive Jan 1922 ZR is eerily similar.

Keeping in mind the Irma hit, there have been other instances of a big tropical hit in the area followed by a sig wintry hit somewhere within the CHS-SAV corridor the following winter: 1894/1895, 1898/1899, 1989, 1979/1980 come to mind.
Let's hope that doesn't happen, Larry, but if it does, to mitigate it, make sure the wind doesn't blow, lol. Use you new Xmas magic abacus if you have to, but stop the wind!!! A half inch is bad enough, a half inch in wind is like an inch with mostly still. Things will break badly, and those trees have been waiting since 22 to get thinned out, and that ain't good! Best of luck!!

Exactly. With a steep isentropic surface from a very strong CAD dome we just need a little nudge to get overrunning going. It's one reason I think these super high resolution models may be on to something, because they may be picking up on the magnitude of the overrunning where guidance like the GFS and CMC don't stand a chance until the precipitation is already developing.
Are these model available for the public anywhere?

Last 3 GEFS runs have been trending drier though the SE coast is still hanging onto to ~0.25" qpf.

Edit: my numbers are for only the 12/28-9 (2nd) wave.

Last edited:
GFS showed similar improvements at H5 as the NAM. CMC looked anemic at H5 and very dry. 12z German ICON remains consistent.

us_model-en-087-0_moddeu_2017122612_72_5750_215.png

us_model-en-087-0_moddeu_2017122612_102_5750_220.png

The combined precipitation totals of both the Wed and Thu-Fri event have shifted NW vs the 6z run... Let the NW trend begin.
View attachment 2326

It's also representing the CAD correctly. Like I've been saying is possible for days, it has it snowing in the teens at RDU (around 17F).

Man, the German model looks sweet. Hope the other models like GFS continue with the NW trend, but if the German is right, then who cares what the others show. Just wonder why we can't have an American model with better resolution like the German. Maybe the GFS replacement one will be better.

Back