• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry December 28-29th Possible Winter Storm

It's 60 hours out so getting into la la land for the NAM's standards but this is a mammoth shortwave that breaks off the GOA gyre & is about to crash into the Pacific NW
namconus_z500_vort_wus_45.png

That could spark something maybe in the future right?

No idea, not sure how reliable the NAM is in this case (likely not much), here's the Euro's depiction of this same shortwave, it holds it back over the Northeast Pacific longer and later slams it into British Columbia which pretty much annihilates the s/w. There's a nice Rex Block over Alaska so this is a pretty fickle setup in general but I wouldn't bank on anything until other models show this &/or if the NAM actually remains consistent and keeps plowing the s/w into the Pacific NW
ecmwf_z500_vort_nepac_13.png

....that might actually be the energy for New Year's Day and if I'm not mistaken (I feel exhausted though) it's closer to being in a good spot for a storm to spark up. The bad news is it might be too early and end up too amped, but why I'm extrapolating the 84 hour NAM, I really have no clue.

If the rest of the 0z suite isn't different, I think we can call it outside of the SC lowlands and south Georgia.

No idea, not sure how reliable the NAM is in this case (likely not much), here's the Euro's depiction of this same shortwave, it holds it back over the Northeast Pacific longer and later slams it into British Columbia which pretty much annihilates it. There's a nice Rex Block over Alaska so this is a pretty fickle setup in general but I wouldn't bank on anything until other models show this &/or if the NAM actually remains consistent and keeps plowing the s/w into the Pacific NW
View attachment 2314
Euro has a bias of holding energy back in the SE too long. Maybe in the NW too?

Most if not all IP or ZR edit cut the amounts by about 75%
F90_E5563-_B2_F1-4_C06-_A87_C-57_F67_E3563_FB.jpg
RGEM thru 30hr has simular look so far fwiw

Last edited:
Back