• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Dec 8-10th Winter Storm

c3ccf1ee269405dcf97d3206ac349d06.png
c97e397629f2e93fb6478f2541728d65.png
cc898ef5f62e3cfd5f889b2661456e80.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You got one of them purdy up close snowfall total maps too??

Even if the high ends up being weaker, CAD probably will overperform like it typically does. I guess my cell would be 3-5" from the front end thump with higher or lower totals as you go north or south through the metro. Then I can see a lot of the area going to IP or ZR.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

Yeah, if people in Raleigh are expecting 6" that isn't happening. But, front end 1-2" with some sleet then transition to rain is in the realm of possibilities. I wouldn't put money on that though.

Well except for the 10" at Brick's house! I hope that pretty map verifies for the guy!

Well with all the 12z Models the Midlands of SC is all the rain the whole event. Dont be surprise if models continue to shift NW and Carolinas may have a better chance to see severe weather than wintry wx.

Really not sure why some even come on here to hug snowfall maps when they know they're going to be wrong.

Show me the scientific data that we have at this moment to say it is wrong. Not just because climatology and what has happened before. That's my point. If you think it's wrong just because of the past and pessimism, then why do you even bother to check out what the models show?

Isn’t this about the time models shift north? Then back south right before the event?

Just posting this of the FV. Been a lot of talk that's it's been solid. This looks like snow mid-day Sunday. Like to post this stuff so we can come back and look to see how it did.

Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 1.52.30 PM.png

I think we (Raleigh) has a chance to stay frozen through mid-day Sunday. FV is much quicker bringing in precip than Euro.

9-km ECMWF USA Cities North Carolina Total Precipitation 78.png fv3-gfs_2018-12-06-12Z_078_38.333_277.15_34.069_285.379_Precip_72_highways_cities.png

Show me the scientific data that we have at this moment to say it is wrong. Not just because climatology and what has happened before. That's my point. If you think it's wrong just because of the past and pessimism, then why do you even bother to check out what the models show?
If you had never seen a beehive before and I told you that if you kick it over gold coins would fall out of the sky, you would kick it over. Bees would sting your butt back to the stone age, and you would still be broke. I can't tell you scientifically that the next time you kick over a beehive that bees won't sting you. But I can tell you that you probably won't kick over any more beehives. Forecasting is about experience and interpretation as much or more as it is about looking through snow googles at pink colors on a dumb map.

Well with all the 12z Models the Midlands of SC is all the rain the whole event. Dont be surprise if models continue to shift NW and Carolinas may have a better chance to see severe weather than wintry wx.
Dang man, went from being positive to negative. Atleast there is a chance to see some flurries as it pulls away. I'd count that as a positive for early December. Isn't even Winter yet. I know that doesn't make any of us feel any better down here in SC, but it's all we got.

Why don't you "explain" to everybody what these models are seeing that will lead to all this snow for Wake County? You have sparked my curiosity. I have seen the pretty pictures too.....In all seriousness lets here your thoughts with a bit more of a meteorological perspective

Back