• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Dec 8-10th Winter Storm

Did we get some front end thump snow in the midlands from the Feb 2014 storm.

It was more of a major ZR & Sleet storm. I believe it ended as some light snow.
In my yard, we had so much sleet, it looked like it had snowed though. It was absolutely ridiculous. Probably over 2 inches or so.

It was more of a major ZR & Sleet storm. I believe it ended as some light snow.
In my yard, we had so much sleet, it looked like it had snowed though. It was absolutely ridiculous. Probably over 2 inches or so.

Even though the actual air temperatures may not be as impressive, the cold air dam w/ this storm is even stronger than the Feb 2014 event

EPS took pretty much everyone across the board down an inch or so. Still looks great.

Here's the overnight 0z EPS. Been noticing the 0z suites the last few days have taken a step back while the 12z suites take an even bigger leap forward, I wouldn't consider this a new trend per say. In another 24-36 hours or so, these ensemble runs should carry less weight in a forecast anyway because they're not properly dispersed inside 48 hours or so.
download (85).png

Here's the overnight 0z EPS. Been noticing the 0z suites the last few days have taken a step back while the 12z suites take an even bigger leap forward, I wouldn't consider this a new trend per say. In another 24-36 hours or so, these ensemble runs should carry less weight in a forecast anyway because they're not properly dispersed inside 48 hours or so.
View attachment 8598
The 2 Inch mark is ever so slightly creeping to Columbia.

What in the.. NAM looks totally different with Low placement and even the precip @ 42 vs 00z.

Precipitation/virga already trying to overspread Alabama and Georgia by Friday night on this run of the NAM. Seen so many overrunning events like this (& as was alluded to by others earlier) where the initial burst of precipitation on the north side of the precip shield is more intense, more expansive than forecast, and comes sooner than modeled.

Back