• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Dec 8-10th Winter Storm

Earlier today the WPC was going with the NAM/EURO/CMC/FV3 as their model blend with less weight given to the GFS/UKIE. The GFS seems to be continuing the issue it's had for the last 24 hours of being too progressive with the track of the low and sliding it out. WPC specifically mentioned that as the reason they were giving it less weight and they also mentioned that it's a GFS bias.

I hope that if this does turn into an icy mess for places like Atlanta that officials will warn the public in time and avoid some of the gridlock that occurred last time. At least this won't be occurring during the work week. I have noticed that NWS disco's seem to generally be taking the magnitude of the storm pretty seriously.

So, what criteria are folks like RAH and WRAL using for their forecasts that are so different from what most of the models have been showing all day?

I love it when Brad Travis says ground temps are too warm right now for significant accumulation Sunday Night and Monday.
Kinda funny past 2 nights we have lows at 24 degrees and highs of about 38. Hilarious.
Ground temps don't change swiftly. And it's been a cold three weeks really.

They are not looking at clown maps to make their forecast ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, what are they using? What other factors can they see right now that would say the models are wrong?

G

Cloudy with rain and 39 degrees for Sunday with rain and a wintry mix nw of the triangle. Wral
That high temperature is going to need to be adjusted downward to 34-36 based on recent model runs. That projected high is about 4-6 degrees warmer than nearly all of the models. NWS RAH still expects a changeover to rain by 10am Sunday, but the recent models indicate snow well into Sunday afternoon or evening.

So, what are they using? What other factors can they see right now that would say the models are wrong?

Experience,climatology, appreciation of individual models strengths/weaknesses. Some will say meteorology not modelology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back