• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Dec 8-10th Winter Storm

I’ve seen this enough times to know not to get sucked in by the NAM. Columbia friends, I suggest you don’t get your hopes up.

However, could this be more accurate in this case due to the NAM having a better hold on temp profiles whereas in other cases where Columbia has been on the edge the NAM overestimated the extent of precipitation (which won’t be an issue with this storm)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interestingly enough with an upgrade that was implemented in the spring of 2017, the NAM no longer has a moist bias. In fact I've seen it drier than the GFS at times wrt to low level moisture/QPF

nam3km_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_60.png
Nam 3km has the low even further south

To hell with that, the lead energy is closed off near Memphis . That’s a great sign for Arkansas Tennessee and extreme northern miss and Alabama like near the northern boarders
02810aafda8567887c39a4b72af527d5.png

Look at the confluence in NE. This has to dig ESE or SE a well .IF that is right in NE that ULL should push SE .

I’ve seen this enough times to know not to get sucked in by the NAM. Columbia friends, I suggest you don’t get your hopes up.

However, could this be more accurate in this case due to the NAM having a better hold on temp profiles whereas in other cases where Columbia has been on the edge the NAM overestimated the extent of precipitation (which won’t be an issue with this storm)

Agree with your first quote.

Re: your latter quote.... Isn't this timeframe considered to be the NAM's wheelhouse?

I think it more ice.
It's actually a mix. I just checked the sounding for ATL. 850 temp from 12km NAM has it at 0.7c (about 33f) There is a warm layer above 850mb. Temps there are 3.2c (37f) but it's a shallow layer. So, some area's will get a mix. It all depends on those temp profiles which I think will vary.

To hell with that, the lead energy is closed off near Memphis . That’s a great sign for Arkansas Tennessee and extreme northern miss and Alabama like near the northern boarders
02810aafda8567887c39a4b72af527d5.png

Just looking out for Central Alabama lmao trust me if I could travel anywhere this weekend it would be Winston-Salem.

It's actually a mix. I just checked the sounding for ATL. 850 temp from 12km NAM has it at 0.7c (about 33f) There is a warm layer above 850mb. Temps there are 3.2c (37f) but it's a shallow layer. So, some area's will get a mix. It all depends on those temp profiles which I think will vary.
Rain and sleet or rain and snow?

Back