• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Dec 8-10th Winter Storm

The big questions for whether central NC gets a significant snowfall or yet another near miss:
  • How much measurable snow, if any, do we get from the front-end thump?
  • Will a warm nose appear, and when/if will the changeover to rain occur?
  • Will we get any additional snow from the backside of the system?
The front-end thump is our best chance to get any accumulation. I think we could get 1-3 inches during that time depending on when the changeover occurs. Today's model runs have trended to a later changeover and a colder high temperature on Sunday, which would give us a greater chance at accumulation. I do expect the rain to melt a lot of the snow when it changes over but less than 1 inch from NWS RAH seems like a very conservative estimate for now with some of the model guidance showing quite a bit of snow.

The big questions for whether central NC gets a significant snowfall or yet another near miss:
  • How much measurable snow, if any, do we get from the front-end thump?
  • Will a warm nose appear, and when/if will the changeover to rain occur?
  • Will we get any additional snow from the backside of the system?
The front-end thump is our best chance to get any accumulation. I think we could get 1-3 inches during that time depending on when the changeover occurs. Today's model runs have trended to a later changeover and a colder high temperature on Sunday, which would give us a greater chance at accumulation. I do expect the rain to melt a lot of the snow when it changes over but less than 1 inch from NWS RAH seems like a very conservative estimate for now with some of the model guidance showing quite a bit of snow.

They are being extremely conservative. I’d say 2-4 across wake should be a good starting point for them. No clue why they are so low.

Every model has more than that. And 2-4 is cutting even the euro in half.

Back