• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Dec 8-10th Winter Storm

Chris justice calling for 3-6 inches north of I 85 in upstate. Dusting-3 inches south of 85. And 12-24 inches plus for most the mountains

@Storm5 or anyone. What I have circled is the upper level low correct??? That’s is what we want on the back end of the system to come thru to give us a chance of snow?? Correct?? Trying to learn to read the upper level maps.

I believe the energy we are watching for development behind the main system is shown over South Dakota on that frame.

It's possible lol. I'm most familiar with the caviots of the GFS, but I do know CAD, nwp and "well forecast" can never be used in the same sentence. I'll probably look at some peer reviewed articles about nwp and CAD tonight. While it sounds like I'm cherry picking, I do recall Jan 2017 being in >95% probs of 6" of snow on the EPS in Raleigh, but it RAINED the whole night, with a dusting at the end of the precip

Yep, dug this out of my saved files. This is 0z EPS at essentially at the start of the event unfolding. Now, there were a lot of signs of warm nose issues but nobody expected predominately rain with sleet to end for Raleigh with a grand total of 0.5" of sleet.

Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 4.07.16 PM.png

namconus_ref_frzn_seus_52.png

That look reminds me so much of what it looked like the evening before the Carolina Crusher in Jan 2000. I remember looking at the radar before leaving work that night and wondering why the local forecasters and RAH was not calling for much of anything here with regards to snow. I know the technology has improved since then. But now it seems like they don't believe the technology this go around.

Couple things wow the borderline temps into Georgia 33 Athens and Atlanta 34 at my house and why does it show snow accumulation so far south into Georgia

Isnt 31-32 kinda marginal for freezing rain ? I imagine roads would be fine with those kinda temps.

31F is plenty cold enough to cause problems with trees, powerlines, and bridges. Roads would generally be ok, and it would depend on precip rates.

31F is plenty cold enough to cause problems with trees, powerlines, and bridges. Roads would generally be ok, and it would depend on precip rates.
So if its 32 degrees with rain coming down hard it's probably not going to be a huge deal right ?

I realize this and a $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee (except from Starbucks) but here is the Bufkit for KINT

Attachments

• plotter_007.png
    plotter_007.png
    51.7 KB · Views: 39
and that's just through Sat night

Problem is after that temps are in the mid to upper 30 on the nam and 850s are not even close .

Still a little front end action would be fun.

The euro and nam are worlds apart temp wise for your area .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back