• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Dec 8-10th Winter Storm

Here's my preliminary snow & sleet accumulation map for this storm in NC after spending several hours combing thru storm reports, social media, personal communications, pictures, etc. The statewide mean looks like it's somewhere in the ballpark of 5-6" and this storm may have an argument to be the largest this early in the season for the state of NC, even if you dig all the way back to 1895.

The Wake County gradient was absolutely absurd as locals are obviously well aware of.
View attachment 9049
Those gradients were tough but I could have done better in southwestern and northwestern NC and through the Triad for sure!

december-8-10-2018-nc-snowmap-png.9049

forecast_12-8-png.8816

Those gradients were tough but I could have done better in southwestern and northwestern NC and through the Triad for sure!

december-8-10-2018-nc-snowmap-png.9049

forecast_12-8-png.8816

Yours still isn't bad overall tbh! Cherokee and Clay counties in far SW NC often get completely shafted during these kinds of CAD setups, I only know this by already having made hundreds of these lol.
December 8-10 2018 NC Forecast Snowmap2.png

Yours still isn't bad overall tbh! Cherokee and Clay counties in far SW NC often get completely shafted during these kinds of CAD setups, I only know this by already having made hundreds of these lol.
View attachment 9050
Thanks! Like you said before, if we could have combined our ideas we would have been money! I knew better on some of those - was in a pretty huge rush trying to get a map out that morning per request from our 5th floor management. I admit to not being a mountain terrain expert, but that and Mitchell and even northwestern NC were pretty obvious and so that's a little embarrassing.

I think both of you guys did well! Mine, meh. I had 4-6 in the Triad with heavy sleet and 1-3 in Raleigh and Charlotte with heavy sleet/ZR. For once I had a stronger warm nose than the NAM

Back