• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Observations Dec 8-10 Obs & Pictures Thread

just got power back had 11 hours of snow with a total of 7 inches before it flipped to sleet ...sleet total of 2 inches. still melting in the rain gauge looks like liquid total is going to be around 3 inches
Wow. It looks like you are only 15 miles from Greenville. Seems like you did a lot better than they did.

Light flakes coming down at the Atlanta United victory celebration
ausnow.png

From Ray, the the High Country snow guru

AveryWeather

“Today’s disturbance produced an additional 1"-3" of snow across Western NC late last night and early this morning. Speaking of snow totals, I had 17" as of 3 PM yesterday and another 1.5" this morning. From the big event yesterday in NW NC, I heard totals ranging from 14" to 22". That makes it the biggest snow since 1998 (and for a few spots since 1996). It does NOT rival the Blizzard of '93. Skies clear tonight, and we'll look forward to relatively quiet weather Tuesday through Thursday.”

“For a historical perspective... after searching through all the December snow data for Boone this last event is now the biggest December snow on record. The 18.5" of snow over 2.5 days, beat out Dec 26-27, 1969 when we had 18".

Boone December Double Digit Snow events
Dec 8-10, 2018, 18.5"
Dec 26-27, 1969, 18"
Dec 1-3, 1974, 16"
Dec 19-20, 2009, 15"
Dec 17, 1930, 15"
Dec 12-14, 2010, 14"
Dec 25, 1939, 12"
Dec 4, 1971, 11"

3 of those big Boone December snowfalls have happened in the last 9 years. I think that speaks volumes

Greenville county schools closed again tomorrow! I’d bet Wednesday is a gimme also!

Nah. With temps in the mid to upper 40s under sunny skies tomorrow, the roads should be fine by Wed morning.
elevations in far northern Greenville County are over 3,000 feet (I live in the city of Greenville and I'm at 1,000 feet) - I've witnessed school closings with sunny/dry conditions in Simpsonville/Fountain Inn - discussions every winter in splitting Greenville County into districts (like Spartanburg County) due to significant differences in winter weather

now have 36.1/35 with wet snow/rain mix (noticed this while driving home from YMCA) - dropped more than 3 degrees since 5pm

Last edited:
Back