• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dazzling December

Call me crazy, but I'm not ready to throw the towel in yet here for the 23rd. Five days out leaves plenty of time for us to pump the +PNA a little more favorably and dig that trough a little more.
gfs_z500_vort_us_23.png

Honestly, this is probably the time frame we should be watching; right as the pattern breaks down.
Agree, the first wave dropping down after the Arctic blast cutter likely won't have enough room to breathe and amplify....the 2nd one dropping down should have the best chance, and tonight's CMC nails it. It needs a good ridge spike behind it of course to help it dig.

0pqkclb.gif

ReBRSTT.gif

We are great at can kicking
We should be sore from all of the can kicking and table setting, but this is our last shot before +EPO mild Pac air overruns the country. I think it will be a relatively brief respite though as we should go back into -EPO/+PNA stuff thereafter (I think -PNA is the least likely) as there are multiple reasons to think the jet won't retract back to the W Pac (more +EAMT coming, and tropical forcing should be favorable)....of course, who knows if any of that will do us any good

Agree, the first wave dropping down after the Arctic blast cutter likely won't have enough room to breathe and amplify....the 2nd one dropping down should have the best chance, and tonight's CMC nails it. It needs a good ridge spike behind it of course to help it dig.
Looking at the 3 ensembles, can see here how the GEFS (1st image) doesn't have as good of a ridge spike out west at the key timeframe on Christmas Day. CMCE and EPS are more similar and have the better ridge spike (TPV over Western Canada has retrograded into AK on CMCE and EPS, but still lingering there on the GEFS).

SrXvyER.gif

For the Arctic Cutter storm, here is the trend loop on the last 4 runs of the UKMet as the big wave begins to dig thru the Rockies. Can see here how the UKMet has increased the low pressure anomaly just north of the Great Lakes, going in the direction of the GFS. This is pretty classic though in the sense that whenever there is a major disagreement among the models, they almost always move toward one another rather than one of them being the grand winner.

1Xrw8by.gif

Back