• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dazzling December

Euro doesn’t look very good if you’re wanting snow in the south/southeast during the 23rd system. This is getting into the range (120-168hr) where I’d like to see threats suppressed south so they have time to shift northwest (since they all do just about). Times ticking on this threat, but it’s not quite over yet.

Regardless of no snow for the SE and most of the Eastern Seaboard, it’s still a monster. 850 circulation extends from James Bay in ON to south Florida, and the Central Plains to Nova Scotia. Euro honestly did not know what to do with the SLP after it occluded and decoupled from the upper levels while they were still not down maturing around 168-174hrs.

C4BC89B0-1577-477E-A916-CF652D97ED66.png

potential still there for 26th, probably gets smushed but not bad

View attachment 127067
Honestly it’s not nearly as bad as I thought. Considering that the PV lobe normally trends weaker or northward with time, the threat is obviously still there in the weeds or delayed somewhat.

How many days or weeks does it take for the MJO to have an affect on the pattern, assuming that Euro chart was right and it were to shift into phase 4 or 5 or 6 around the 22nd & 23rd?
I'm by no means an expert on the MJO, but this pattern seems to be largely guided by the influence of jet extension associated with the -EAMT, and the blocking retrogression that has been ongoing since November. Once those influences run their courses, the MJO will likely take on more influence in early January.

Back