• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dazzling December

Just took a peek at the EPS trend, it’s not pretty, let’s hope we reverse back at 12z, but dang it’s something if the UKMET takes a win, cold is gonna come but we’re losing cold out ahead due to vortex holding back/us not getting a vortex out ahead to get us cold prior to the system View attachment 126953
this is mostly an issue for the 23rd system no? I’ve kind of written that off already. 95% of the time it is typically a stepping down process for a storm. First cuts or hits northeast then we get a chance under a suppressed flow

this is mostly an issue for the 23rd system no? I’ve kind of written that off already. 95% of the time it is typically a stepping down process for a storm. First cuts or hits northeast then we get a chance under a suppressed flow
Yep, I still like the second system under cold vortex.

Got to like the look on the EPS for the 2nd system, deep cold vortex still moving east, would eventually become 50/50 under retrograding -NAO, pac energy moving east associated with epac trough that would traverse through the ridge until it feels the lowering heights and starts to amp/dig,553C8FEA-02E0-4896-AE16-DAD55E2844B0.jpeg

I think the whole “shows up, goes away, and comes back” phenomenon pertains to systems that show up, go suppressed, then Nw-trend their way back into play. Haven’t really seen it happen a lot with cutters.. though it can happen, especially in a La Niña year where models are more prone to a progressive bias.
+1 Agree. Thanks for your input. After 15 years of model watching I always try to learn as much as I can and there's a lot of good knowledgeable guys like yourself on here I know I speak for a lot we appreciate it. Merry Christmas my friend hope we all score a good one

Is anyone gonna be surprised to see future runs moderate some with core of the cold shifting a little west of where it's been showing the last two days ? We do this every single winter ....
No we should cancel winter even of our average annual snow is 3 inches. I want my foot of snow or else....

Is anyone gonna be surprised to see future runs moderate some with core of the cold shifting a little west of where it's been showing the last two days ? We do this every single winter ....
It’s actually trending colder as it gets pushed back because the strong cutoff ridge is trending slightly south with each run and feeding the cold reservoir more and more with the backing up trend, it’s gotten colder as it’s backed up

Got to like the look on the EPS for the 2nd system, deep cold vortex still moving east, would eventually become 50/50 under retrograding -NAO, pac energy moving east associated with epac trough that would traverse through the ridge until it feels the lowering heights and starts to amp/dig,View attachment 126959
By that look we are trending to a Christmas night/Boxing Day storm. Maybe sooner. I've seen those short waves dive like an Olympian once they traverse the ridge and really crank

By that look we at trending to a Christmas night/Boxing Day storm. Maybe sooner. I've seen those short waves dive like an Olympian once they traverse the ridge and really crank
Yep. I totally get it’s far out, but there’s a huge amount of pattern support for something around that time, and it’s a very classic look for the SE, with plenty of cold air in place

Aint feeling it for system # 2. Always liked #1 and knew it was a 50/50 shot at best, trying to thread a needle, just had bigger needle eye. GFS Op is trending further off the GEFS than the Euro op is from its EPS. So that's not good and the trend aint our friend.

Aint feeling it for system # 2. Always liked #1 and knew it was a 50/50 shot at best, trying to thread a needle, just had bigger needle eye. GFS Op is trending further off the GEFS than the Euro op is from its EPS. So thats not good and the trend aint our friend.

System # 2 ? Euro says what system.

qpf_acc.us_ma.png
Depends on your location for many of us this is exactly what we want to see.

Looks about right for us in West Central GA south of I-20. I can already let everyone know that the 34 degree rain is going to be miserable.
Lol, it would be 33, but if a big dogs spits out of this pattern it will be down to Perry probably. A storm like the gfs is showing will get a lot of us usually left out. In fact, the depictions look like a good hammering of sleet, like the old days, with snow too. It changes all over run to run, but the storm is still there, and the pattern is holding well...so it could happen. Be of good cheer at Xmas, lol. Just don't want a strong storm as the heat generator will for sure give us the cold rain. It's a dance at the edges when zr/ip/ and sn are looking to join up. I hate freezing rain, but love sleet, and I'm often on the dividing line between hell and heaven...but I've seen some really good ip/sn storms down here, but some bad zr storms too. When the woods are crashing down on you, 33 looks really good. Of course, 35 miles can make all the difference, so we need some constantly reinforced cold pushing deep.

View attachment 126960

If this verifies, I would have to think it would be one of the coldest seven day periods we’ve had in a very, very long time.
Only problem I have with this from the GFS is it's also based on a significant snow/ice pack which obviously affects those temps. Still gonna be cold but probably not that cold if there isn't said snow/ice on the ground

Back